OP
OP
T

Tozer0314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I encourage you to read the following R2R article to help you get started:

We're cheering for you!

Thank you so much for that...I will use that for reference.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
nice tank!!!..we all love pics.. :)
i would change out damsels when ready to add fish,
they can be mean little buggers ;)

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my name is Tammy and my son is Chris. This is a venture we are attacking together. Last weekend we started a small 14 gallon all in one tank. We live at the South Jersey Shore, is salt water isn’t new to us, just in a tank it is.
My son is 15 years old and is in Natural Science at his HS. He loves everything about that class (that is until “Rona” came an ruined his Hands on experience. I thought that a salt water tank would be a good Hands on Lesson for him. I have always wanted one but was very intimidated by the prices of the fish and the time I heard that it took to maintain one. I have a pond with Koi, shupunkins, Comets, snails and Large Goldfish in it. That was a learning experience also, especially when winter comes. I also gave a 55 gallon tank at my office that had Goldfish, Shupunkins and Algae eaters in it (in the winter my tank gets fairly chilly 67 degrees because it’s in my shop area), hardy fish are the best for that type of tank.
So last weekend while getting a few fish for my pond, I saw an all in one 14 gallon salt water tank. I called to confirm with my husband that he thought it would be a good idea. I came home with the tank, salt water ready (as I learned not totally ready) water and sand. The gentleman at the shop I went to told me to let the tank run for 24 hours and I could come back and get some starter fish. Started the tank and didn’t have enough salt water. Went back to the store and the owner was there and he was honest with me and explained the whole process to me. I bought a few pieces of live rock from him and started my tank last Sunday. He also gave me a Salinity meter to keep an eye on salt. Waited a week with consistent salt readings. Today my son and I went and got our first two fish. We came home with a black velvet damselfish and a blue w/gold tail damselfish. The owner said we had to allow the bacteria in the tank to grow and to keep an eye on Nitrate and ammonia tests for at least a month before getting more fish, anemones and corals. I know we can’t go crazy as it’s only 14 gallons...but we are excited to see how it all goes.

I would absolutely love any advice for this newbie and her son. I know this is all going to be a learning experience and there is going to be some ugly to get to pretty.

30A56FC3-030B-407C-9EA0-9064D96B2D0D.jpeg
Hi Tammy and Chris. Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed. Learn from that bad advice. Some LFS will just go for the sale. Take things slowly in reefing.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful story, and welcome to R2R! I started my first reef tank when my sons were teenagers, and always had at least 4 teenagers in my house "helping" with the tank. This included my 3 and also a teenage neighbor with his own 29-gallon reef tank. It was a great project! One of my sons, now 30, has a baby and has always had the salt bug. He can't wait to start a reef tank with his own son. The reef circle of life. It's pretty great! ;Joyful

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back