New to torch corals ...

Justin Hartmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the whole coral thing. Though it does not look dead I am just not sure if it is happy or needs to be moved? I will attach two pictures, one a week ago (the feather dusters open) and one today. Any tips, advice and overall care information would be great thanks. My perameters are all pretty good except nitrates are a little high but im working on that. torch2.jpg torch.jpg

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have is actually a hammer. Very similar to torch corals except not nearly as aggressive. In general euphyllias such as torch, hammer, frogspawn are more sensitive than other lps, they like moderate flow and lighting, not directly under light and midway/lower in the tank out of direct flow. They will take chunky food such as mysis/brine. Good luck with yours! It looks good so far. I can tell you euphyllias are very enjoyable corals, I love my hammers.

OP
OP
Justin Hartmann

Justin Hartmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well see I already learned something, thanks for the ID. I can see where the tips are a little longer not ball shaped. Makes sense. Thanks for the care info. I did not know if the rock on the right side would stunt growth or affect how it acted.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and your welcome :). That's what I love about this hobby, always something new to learn.

OP
OP
Justin Hartmann

Justin Hartmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one from when the tank was younger a couple months ago. It all looks the same now though. The hammer is on the rock in the center (left side where the shelf is). Probably a terrible spot.

full tank.jpg

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah that pic looks crazy with all the blues turned up. The camera has had a bit to much to drink.

Im super new as well so just here to learn :) Seems like a good spot to put it to me though!

OP
OP
Justin Hartmann

Justin Hartmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry about the blue, I think I took it later at night when the whites were faded out. I know it washes out the camera now, but that is an old picture.

Doesn't help that I used plasti dip on the back that is also blue.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not like nitrates how high are they.It won't kill them unless really high but won't open fully

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can tell it's a hammer coral, the ends / tips look like little hammers. Torch corals have long tentacles with just rounded ends, typically a brighter "glowing" like color than the rest of the body. Also usually a higher price tag to go along with them. My experience has been that torches tend to be a little more finicky with water quality, lighting, flow, etc. Hammers and Frogspawn are great beginner corals. Even thought they call them "beginner" corals, most of us either have had or currently have them in our tank. They're beautiful corals and always get a lot of attention and comments, especially as they start to get bigger. Good luck, looking like a good spot for it so far. FYI, I hardly ever directly fed mine, they just pick up food from feeding the fish and nutrients from fish waste.

Here's my Aussie Torch I bought last week.
db6de5666593e5003ac01a6c66cb19e8.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Justin Hartmann

Justin Hartmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again everyone! Yeah I see the difference, thanks for the reference picture, I like it! Well the nitrates were at around 25 - 30 so pretty high. I have gotten them back down to about 5 - 10 now. That could have been the issue that was causing it to not look like it used to. Hopefully it will open up more and start to extend now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back