OP
OP
Jenny_rs

Jenny_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Manager said he's been getting these torches for a long time and has never had a problem with them but since it would never fully open up in my tank that something was upsetting it even though all other corals are happy and healthy."

So he's just gonna lie to your face and then shift blame to you? PFFF, what a chump. Go to a new store!
Yea I didn't want to make a scene and didn't want to argue who was misinformed. I just kept asking, are you SURE its not a bleached coral. He inspected it and said it looks really healthy but that he wasn't sure what was causing it to close up halfway through my light schedule. And also said that some torches come in that color.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, it would close up in the middle of your light cycle because it has no zoo to protect it. They protect the coral from UV and make energy for the coral. So it closes to try to run from the high light that comes midday. If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your whites are a little high and the frogspawn/octo looks bleached and so does the plate, thats a nice lfs if the took the coral back and swapped it for another.

OP
OP
Jenny_rs

Jenny_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your whites are a little high and the frogspawn/octo looks bleached and so does the plate, thats a nice lfs if the took the coral back and swapped it for another.
The plate is still recovering from almost dying on me a few months ago so that is why it doesn't look as good as when I got it (it was a bright green vs now.) Also I don't believe my frogspawn is bleached at all. This is what it looks like today. Maybe my whites seem high but its only at 40 compared to everything else being at 60. I've also got the weather simulation on for cloud cover.

Attachments

• 20201118_161348.jpg
    20201118_161348.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 22

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it may be bleached but they can sometimes recover, its on you if you saw it in person and took it home, I dont think they forced you to buy it? Had you bought that online and the picture they advertised wasnt bleached that would be a different story and a return would be acceptable, but not in this case. You should learn from this and do research before you purchase more corals.

if the OP did no research at all, that doesn’t warrant the shop selling them an unhealthy coral, unless this coral was labelled as unhealthy and in a discount tank.

If I were buying a new TV I wouldn’t expect the shop to sell me a TV that was more than likely going to fail in a couple of weeks because I didn’t research enough and missed that the screen was slightly more grey than black, which was an indication of a poor screen.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morality and ethics aside. If the op has been going there for 15 years, she by now, in my opinion would be more of a friend. The fact that they would treat a friend customer of 15 like that and let them take home a bleached coral... I think the only reason they swapped it is because it WAS bleached they knew it.

Let me ask you this. If you have been going there for 15 years, you know dang well what's been coming in and out. Have you seen them have these torches for a long time as the manager said? My bet is no. I would have called his butt out on it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back