New torch and emerald crab

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hammer coral and he does fine with the crab the crab has never bothered it. Yesterday I bought a torch and I just saw my crab pop one of the poylps on the torch, Im beyond ticked what can I do about it?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the crab in a sump, or QT tank, or spare tank, or acclimation box, or return it or rehome it.

You were lucky with the hammer, but emeralds can be coral eaters

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the crab in a sump, or QT tank, or spare tank, or acclimation box, or return it or rehome it.

You were lucky with the hammer, but emeralds can be coral eaters
Which maybe I just got lucky years ago when I had my other tanks

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a male emerald crab that got coral-hungry last year, so he had to get sent to detention. But I decided to try again (glutton for punishment over here) and currently have a female that's been doing fine and leaves the corals alone thus far. (We're only a couple of months in, though) I keep a very close eye on her, just in case!

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even hermits. they coral eat my (thank god for that!) but they sure climb on them! one of the ones i have likes to pick up my goni, and knock it out of the hole i put it in (he also likes climbing on my leathers) :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a male emerald crab that got coral-hungry last year, so he had to get sent to detention. But I decided to try again (glutton for punishment over here) and currently have a female that's been doing fine and leaves the corals alone thus far. (We're only a couple of months in, though) I keep a very close eye on her, just in case!
i feel like it is hit or miss with these guys like dwarf angels

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting that now. Guess I got lucky for a few years
They like to lull you into a false sense of security then bam...there goes half your alveopora, or goby, or snail. Actually I consider snails to be housing upgrades for my hermits most of time and always buy a few extras. Not sure why they're more desirable than the perfectly fine empty shell on the sand but there you go....crabs.

Too bad they're pretty good at what they do and I love watching them but if I didn't have a sump or another tank as my jail, I'd probably skip them altogether.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back