New Toy from Hanna!

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS swung by today with a highly anticipated item! Ran my first test with it and you can see the results in the pic...I was actually hoping to see 0.01 ...maybe I need to back off my GFO a bit as one of my most stable SPS colonies has lightened up on me in the last 2 days, despite fairly heavy feedings.

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet! I need to pick one up myself!

OP
OP
jcom

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, yes you do!

What are the extra vials for?

Those are the standard/reference vials (1.00 & true zero). I'm a little bummed about getting them because I thought that you could use them multiple times (well, you CAN use the zero multiple times) but the 1.00 is a one time use. Waste of $10.00 in my opinion.

However, the main kit itself comes with two vials, which is nice because you can put your tank sample in one, and your sample + reagent in the other. This is good because the unit has a 3 minute shut off function and you have to mix the reagent for 2 minutes. By the time you baseline with your tank sample, open a reagent packet, carefully pour it in, and then mix for 2 minutes, your 3 minutes is basically up. So I just used both vials as mentioned above and it worked like a charm!

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bud gets stuff really cheap you have to order $100+ shipping to get a deal on anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjw00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got myself one of these meters as well. Very easy to use. i got 0.00 on my first test, but I am running a lot of GFO and just changed it out a few days ago, so I would expect nothing but 0.00
hanna.jpg

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same unit. It's great not trying to figure out what color the vial it.
Keep in mind, I believe these checker have a +/- of 0.03

Mr Beardsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my phosphate checker, but I wish it would either beep when it displays the final reading, or keep the reading up longer. I don't know how many times I've gotten busy doing something else and missed my final number.

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, but for those who get a reading of 0.00, what kind of algae growth do you have in your tank?
Now that's a pretty broad question, but please answer however you see fit, I'm so curious! haha

OP
OP
jcom

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chaeto remote refugium and was running GFO when I got my first 0.00 reading. Since I'm transitioning to a ULNS (VGV) and just started dosing two days ago, I took the GFO offline the day after my first 0.00 phosphate reading and removed 1/2 of the chaeto from my refugium. As of yesterday, I was still getting 0.00

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and get a 0.0 reading also. I have no algae growth at all. I can not even grow cheato. The only filtration I use is a swc 160 skimmer, vertex bio-pellets and a filter sock. My sps grows great, but have a problem keeping coraline from time to time.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back