New Waterbox 28.2 AIO frag setup w/ Stax rock

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being out of the hobby for about 5 years, I decided I wanted to get back in. I looked at a lot of different tanks and finally settled on the Waterbox 28.2 Frag. I enjoy the shallowness of it and wasn't really looking to go larger w/ a sump at this point with their bigger frag offerings. I went totally different with the aquascape from what I am used to and decided on the Stax rock from TLF. I tried to create a scape that had various levels w/ overhangs and plenty of open passageways the fish can go in and out of. Right now I am in the cycling process w/ Dr. Tims One and Only and ammonium chloride.

Equipment:
-Waterbox 28.2 Frag w/ Stand
-AI Prime HD
-AI Nero 5
-Tunze 9004 nano skimmer
-Eheim Jäger 75w x2 (150w inside the tank for now until the others arrive-it was too long)
-XP Aqua top off

As far as livestock goes I plan on doing a mixed reef with corals. A pair of Black Ice Clownfish, pistol shrimp/Goby (undecided on which Goby), a Mandarin Dragonet if I can find one to eat prepared foods, maybe 1-2 other smaller fish, and various inverts for cuc.

IMG_2345.JPG IMG_2330.JPG IMG_2325.JPG IMG_2329.JPG

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scape looks great, I really like the stacked rock. Nice! :)

OP
OP
J

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Stax rocks is pretty cool. I got a lot of paper plate sized pieces that I didnt account for but breaking them cleanly was super easy. I finally got my Prime on a setting I think I will stick with for a while. Doing a modified AB+ schedule. Probably will add a second Prime later on down the road.

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try 3d reefing ai prime diffuser.
I'm really happy with product I bought it when they had a crazy sale 50 for 2 with shipping.

You can watch tank longer since theres less (almost 0) disco ball effect.

Welcome back tank will be amazing

OP
OP
J

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive looked at those and will probably get them when I go to 2 lights since it will diminish PAR a little and give a more even spread.

Ive got the Ner0 5 in and set up, did some wire clean up under the stand, and started the skimmer to get it broken in a little.

Does anyone see an issue with the way I have the wires organized within the stand? I will be moving my salt mix out and putting an ATO in to the far right.

fullsizeoutput_36b.jpeg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of those Waterbox frag tanks.
How is it going so far?

OP
OP
J

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of those Waterbox frag tanks.
How is it going so far?

Everything is going well thus far. My current stock list is a pair of Black Ice extreme clowns and a single Blue Chromis. As far as corals I have multiple zoa/paly frags, few heads of Acans, some Clove Polyps, red cap, green cap, Forest Fire digi, Christmas Monti, Cornbred Phoenix Monti, Green Slimer, Chameleon Acro, and a bunch of other SPS frags that I cant remember the name of. All of my SPS frags are super small. I think I have 11 SPS frags aside from my montiporas (I am a Monti geek).

My parameters are doing well. I do a 4g water change every week. I haven't had any true algae complaints thus far, just the normal small stuff.

This weekend I plan on cutting off frag plug stems and epoxying down everything since I haven't had any issues with my SPS. I am getting some good polyp extension and colors are looking nice.

I am going to start experimenting with dosing Polyplab's One product. I enjoy the idea of a simple AIO dosing regiment for my small sized tank. I will also be adding Reef Roids into my feeding schedule.

I do not have an ATO yet but that will be the next equipment purchase. I am looking at the new Neptune ATK V2 or the XP Aqua 4 sensor or Duetto. I may possibly be adding another AI Prime just to add some more PAR for my SPS but with the tank being so shallow it may be a touch overkill-still on the fence about this one.

I will snap some more pictures to document everything once I get things glued in their spots.

OP
OP
J

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have learned that I absolutely suck at taking pictures. I have no fancy cameras or any lenses. Everything seems so blown out. Oh well, here are a few pictures as the tank sits today. I still have to glue a ton of frags so things aren't in their place as of yet. Still like the way things are headed.

fullsizeoutput_3a0.jpeg vCKmzBTTT1aYT8%iaDOLKg.jpg fullsizeoutput_3a9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3a8.jpeg

rqet2LAoRAScT9AZ9R+xkw.jpg

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! I have the stax rock in my Nuvo 30L. I really like what you have done with it. Looking forward to following along as this aquarium progresses.

Polyp lab one is an all in one dosing product that delivers alk, cal, and mag correct? I just started using a similar product “Tropic Marin All For Reef” in my 10g frag tank. So far it’s working well, it might be worth looking into as well. I just got the new Kamoer X1 Bluetooth doser to use with it. It was only $60 and I think it will work well with the all in one dosing products.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held off on the Polyplab One for now and I believe I am going to use the Tropic Marin product you mentioned above. From the research I’ve done it just seems to be a better, more efficient product than the Polyplab.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great you did a good job with the stax rocks. I am on the fence if I like it or not, but in your tank and with your scape it dose look good. keep us posted on how it goes for you.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Love the stacked rock! I think the consensus is that you did a good job! It’s a nice look. Did you attach them together in any way?

OP
OP
J

Jdavenp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Love the stacked rock! I think the consensus is that you did a good job! It’s a nice look. Did you attach them together in any way?

I just used some epoxy for a few of the base structures and overhangs to make sure that they were secured and stacked all of the rest.

I do enjoy it but I’m also missing some of the curves that come from typical live rock. For a larger tank I think that a mixture of both types would be ideal.

Thank you for the compliments.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back