New Waterbox Marine X 110.4 build

christianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a first attempt at a reef tank in a 29g and making a lot of mistakes over the last year of learning this hobby, I decided to treat myself to one of those gorgeous Waterbox marine X 110.4, transferred the livestock i had and the only surviving coral I had (pulsing xenia)

Here's how far I got.

Equipment:

- Waterbox Marine X 110.4
- 2 x AI Prime 16HD
- 2 x Nero 5 Circulation Pumps
- eShopps x120 protein skimmer (comes from previous system, not sure yet if it will handle this tank)
- ATO XP Aqua Duetto
- Sicce Syncra Pump 4.0
- Sigma-1 in-sum media reactor with activated carbon
- Sunsun jup-23 UV sterilizer

The live rocks and marine blocks are from the previous tank, so I'm assuming they carried over some the good bacteria with them

I did not take the sand nor the water from the previous tank as it was quite nasty

Added Fritz-zyme turbo start have have the skimmer and uv light off at the moment for a few days

I'm not entirely sure how cycling will work with a tank that is partially new, partially old

Also does anyone have tips on how to setup the Nero 5 ? i have them paired to do the same random pattern with 25-60% speed and medium variance

For the AI light i used the waterbox provided one for the time being

Once i'm sure the water is stable will definitely introduce more corals and livestock gradually (Diamond goby and Six-line wrasse are on the list for sure). If you have suggestions let me know

IMG_7454.jpeg

IMG_7455.jpeg

IMG_7443.jpeg

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I love that wood on brick aesthetic too!

As for Nero 5 flow...people have theirs setup all over the place. Here's my Nero 3 just for example.

Screenshot_20210930-183425_myAI.jpg

Ajayabb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I did a similar set up after moving my livestock from a 32 Biocube to the 110. I found the lighting was a bit anemic with only 2 AI Prime HDs so I added another 2 after checking PAR levels throughout the tank

OP
OP
christianb

christianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I did a similar set up after moving my livestock from a 32 Biocube to the 110. I found the lighting was a bit anemic with only 2 AI Prime HDs so I added another 2 after checking PAR levels throughout the tank
Thank you, it's one of my concerns too, 2 AI seems a tad too small for this size tank

IrishReefer234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a first attempt at a reef tank in a 29g and making a lot of mistakes over the last year of learning this hobby, I decided to treat myself to one of those gorgeous Waterbox marine X 110.4, transferred the livestock i had and the only surviving coral I had (pulsing xenia)

Here's how far I got.

Equipment:

- Waterbox Marine X 110.4
- 2 x AI Prime 16HD
- 2 x Nero 5 Circulation Pumps
- eShopps x120 protein skimmer (comes from previous system, not sure yet if it will handle this tank)
- ATO XP Aqua Duetto
- Sicce Syncra Pump 4.0
- Sigma-1 in-sum media reactor with activated carbon
- Sunsun jup-23 UV sterilizer

The live rocks and marine blocks are from the previous tank, so I'm assuming they carried over some the good bacteria with them

I did not take the sand nor the water from the previous tank as it was quite nasty

Added Fritz-zyme turbo start have have the skimmer and uv light off at the moment for a few days

I'm not entirely sure how cycling will work with a tank that is partially new, partially old

Also does anyone have tips on how to setup the Nero 5 ? i have them paired to do the same random pattern with 25-60% speed and medium variance

For the AI light i used the waterbox provided one for the time being

Once i'm sure the water is stable will definitely introduce more corals and livestock gradually (Diamond goby and Six-line wrasse are on the list for sure). If you have suggestions let me know

IMG_7454.jpeg

IMG_7455.jpeg

IMG_7443.jpeg
Just ordered my Marinex110.4 today. Very excited to get it. Will be screenshotting your build for inspiration

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah nice tank that mate.. I'll be going that way in Feb 2022..

2 prime HDS cut it though? I will be going with 2 hydras

OP
OP
christianb

christianb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah nice tank that mate.. I'll be going that way in Feb 2022..

2 prime HDS cut it though? I will be going with 2 hydras
Yes so far so good, i maxed out on the blues based on this BRStv review

I have a hard time taking good photos it looks brighter than this to the naked eye. Might rent a PAR meter at some point to see where I'm at.

All the corals are very young and new so I expect it will take some time and i'm also dosing Reef Energy Plus Coral Complete Nutrition AB+ plus supplementing with Reef Roid

I had diatom blooms on the sand a few weeks ago but it's gone since then, thanks to my diamond goby is hard at work

Definitely need to also get the jump guard if you get a diamond goby, and it has to be tight fitting, It took me two tries to get the jump guard waterbox provides properly fitted, i made so many cutting mistakes at first, and had a 1 in hole which my goby found after being in the tank for no more than 10 minutes! luckily i was in the room when he attempted escape.

1636145028946.jpeg

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have 2 primes on my 90 gal. 60cm deep I get 55par, at the top just under the lights 110.. defo consider at least 1 hydra for the middle mate..

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 2 AI primes on my 110 since April - no SPS though, my hammers and torch are doing just fine... rest of the tank has soft corals

Sgendron66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have 2 primes on my 90 gal. 60cm deep I get 55par, at the top just under the lights 110.. defo consider at least 1 hydra for the middle mate..
Has anyone run 2 ai primes and a hydra in the center? I have a 110.4 and need more light

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back