New zoa frag closed for 5 weeks.

dcost11

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
usa
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this frag in and it was open and seemed good for 5 weeks, then it closed maybe annoyed by hair algae but mostly I've been able to get rid of the algae, but they still have not reopened for 5 weeks now. Can anyone see anything in my photo that might cause them to close, water parameters have all been good and unchanging, though I have not tested for phosphates. I recently ordered a kit. Light has been on the low as I hoped they were acclimating.

image0.jpeg
 
Can you advise your parameters, what type of lighting and what do you have for flow? I'm thinking perhaps you might have kept the lights too low
 
Check your iodine levels. Algae chews up iodine and zoas need it. Mine were closed up same way but once i got my iodine in check thru icp testing made a big difference. Inuse captiv8 iso mt which replaces a bunch of traces that hair algae removes. I have an algae scrubber so dosing for me is necessary.
 
I do have a small orbit marine nano by current, so the light is small and has been set low. The water is good, CA 420 KH8 PH8 Mg 1350 nitrate is has always been on the lower end but not 0. Maybe I need to test for iodine. The flow is just the stock pump and head from AIO nano tank from innovative marine.
 
If you get your nitrates up to around 10 and your phosphates around .1 they will come alive. If they have algae on them then dip them in a Peroxide solution of 80% tank water and 20% Peroxide for 3-4 minutes and they will feel better.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new