New Zoa obsession

Mike McCown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone my name is Mike and new on here, just signed up. I have had my 29 gallon tank now for almost two years. My sister owns a fish store here in the Clear Lake area of Houston and she got me into it after some personal tragedy that happened to me to help take my mind off things and it helped out more than I can describe. Anyways I absolutely love my tank and will hopefully be getting a 50-75 gallon tank in the near future once I have the money for it. I found that I have an obsession for Zoanthids and I can't get enough of them. They are expensive as all get out however and most stores I've been too only ship the basic bland colors to the locations I've been to here in Houston as well as my sisters store. I've managed in the last week to get a few frags from my sisters place that are really nice. One being an Eagle Eye frag with about 25 polyps on it, the second being a really bright green and orange type of Zoa with 15 polyps on it which is very bright and florescent when I have my blue LED light on, and the third is a Aussie Black Goblin on Fire Zoa with 25-30 polyps on it. Not sure if that's the real name but that's what the place I ordered it from called it. It had three bristle worms under the frag itself when I got it so thankfully I removed the Zoa from the frag peg to put it on my Live Rock that I'm trying to grow a colony on or I wouldn't of noticed them and they would now be in my tank.
Sorry for rambling. So my question is what's the best methods for getting the Zoa's to spread quicker? My conditions are great in my tank as I get my water tested every single week when I go in to get new water for a water change, but anytime I've had Zoa's in my tank they never seem to spread for some reason. They all open up almost immediately when putting them in my tank, they all look very healthy and everything you'd expect but they never grow or spread out. I know I'm an impatient person by nature so that's not a good thing when wanting my corals to grow and spread out, but everything I've ever read on other sites say that they grow and reproduce at a rate of 1-3 per week once they are use to the tank and the conditions are correct. So I'm just curious as to what everyone on here things. Any helpful information would be amazing, and if you know of any other online places that sell nice Zoa's that are not crazy expensive then please let me know as well. I want to have several colonies in my tank at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_4824.jpg
    IMG_4824.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 112

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I share your love For zoas. As far as growth is concerned I feel it take a little while for them to start growing but once they do it's fairly consistent. What I mean is I have frags that sit for months with no noticeable growth, but once a new polyp pops out growth is noticeably faster. I have found with zoas that consistently is key, don't chase "perfect" numbers just keep your tank stable.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community! You are among fellow zoa addicts!

OP
OP
Mike McCown

Mike McCown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully they will eventually start to grow! I got three pieces of flat live rock for the front of my tank that are separate from the other live rock and I'm wanting to try to create some colonies. I even fragged my toadstool and put it on one of the rocks with one of my other polyps to create a multi coral frag. Hopefully that'll eventually turn out nice. Thank you to both of you for the warm welcome and I look forward to talking to everyone on here and learning more and more each day!

Attachments

• IMG_4836.jpg
    IMG_4836.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back