New Zoas, Bad IDs?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

I picked up these zoas, some of which I doubt the ID that was given to me. Any help would be much appreciated:

fireandice.jpg

orangebambam.jpg

unknown.jpg

unnamed003.2.jpg

yellowbrickroad.jpg

1. Fire and Ice
2. Orange Bam Bam
3. Unknown, it looks like Green Back Packers in the background
4. Orange Bam Bam
5. Yellow Brick Road

Thoughts?

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
# 1 and #2 sound about right to me.
#3 looks like Gatorade's up front and Packers in the back.
#4 unsure
#5 I think Yellow Brick Road is incorrect, as the ones I have seen have more of a yellow/green skirt vice the orange skirt in your pic. They look like a BBEB, missing the blue eye.

Hobby names are tough, as there are so many slight 'morphs', and minute color differences based on tanks/lighting.....

Good luck. I try to get names when I can, but I have come to the realization that some are just going to be "nice zoa in my tank" zoa. :cool:

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
# 1 and #2 sound about right to me.
#3 looks like Gatorade's up front and Packers in the back.
#4 unsure
#5 I think Yellow Brick Road is incorrect, as the ones I have seen have more of a yellow/green skirt vice the orange skirt in your pic. They look like a BBEB, missing the blue eye.

Hobby names are tough, as there are so many slight 'morphs', and minute color differences based on tanks/lighting.....

Good luck. I try to get names when I can, but I have come to the realization that some are just going to be "nice zoa in my tank" zoa. :cool:

Haha, indeed. I've found most do have names, it is just a matter of digging enough (and engaging enough communities). When I put them up for sale, and I mis-name them, my local community has zero issues with hastily correcting me, lol...

5 does look like BBEBs (which in the tank are right beside them), but as you said, lacking the blue mouth. Also, in a side by side comparison, the yellow centre is more greeny than the BBEBs. For what it is worth, the seller claimed these are "Figi Yellow Brick Road" zoas...

I think Gatorade is bang on, thanks for your input!

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 is most likely a Mandarin Orange
Yes, thank you. It definitely looks like a Mandarin Orange...

#3, I think the seller thought was an Utter Chaos. He claimed there was Utter Chaos in the batch (maybe 100 polyps in total of various zoas), but I couldn't find it. Which, I admit, I was quite disappointed. However, in a large order I placed with an online vendor, they threw in a 3 polyp plug of Utter Chaos for free :)

Darin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#5 look like mandarin orange.

I don't think #3 is utter chaos. I just bought a small frag the other day of utter chaos that are in this pic. The orange zoas on top are mandarin orange and the orange ones on the bottom with the dark center I think are fruit loops
88b9c6813c0329811f8f67d758e89aa2.jpg

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#5 look like mandarin orange.

I don't think #3 is utter chaos. I just bought a small frag the other day of utter chaos that are in this pic. The orange zoas on top are mandarin orange and the orange ones on the bottom with the dark center I think are fruit loops

No, #3 is definitely not utter chaos, after unpacking the frags, I realized quit quickly half the IDs were not accurate (hence the title).

Yeah, the more I look at pictures of Mandarin Oranges, it becomes more obvious.

Agreed, looks like fruit loops to me, here's mine when I first got it:
20180423224417-d02dd72d.jpg

Mine grow about a polyp a month and now look more like yours, i.e. the yellow green base of the skirt is more prominent and orange on the skirt is more of an accent...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back