Hello and welcome!
Screenshot_20210112-232207_Google.jpg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi My name is Wally. Just to give you an idea about me. I have been in this hobby for at least 55 years. All fresh water and terrariums. Learned the hard way. Big tank. No chemicals ( which seems to be different with salt ) and DO not overfeed. Presently I have a 60 with cichlids. A 40 salt which my son talked me into. It was a mess full of hair algae which took 6 months to straighten out. Then killing 5 fish by dropping the skimmer cup in it. But the discovered the jewel of salt. Corals. It too was a steep hill. Losing a lot of coral for reasons unknown I have to learn the language yet but I called them hard coral. Then I started picking the right coral and the tank just took off. Now I have a 90 with a 40 sump with built in baffles and all piped up and running just water with a DC pump. I am now retired just a week and want to start. I am watching BRS and want to do it right. Just so you know I am married and my wife calls my basement sea world. So looking forward to getting some advice from experience
Hahaha welcome to Reef 2 reef!! 55 years is a long time :) very glad to have an expert here with us! Lmk when sea world tickets go on sale I’d love to come and see!! ;):D:D:D

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as requested here is what I have now. Bear in mind that I am in the middle of chemical warfare at the moment. I am dealing with algae growth. The coral don't like it. Also I started with 1 of each. That is why I signed up but so far no replies. I started getting these small snails after winning with the hair alae that took over the tank. It was inherited from my sons friend. Then the snails started getting hair algae growing on them. I started just pulling it off. I did not want to knock them into the rocks and have algae again. So if you look close you will see the snails. Also what I put in the fluval filter. Also treated with API algaefix. The coral are really small compared to what they were but algae disappearing. While watching BRS tv I saw that you are supposed to clean the sand. I was advised not to for salt because of all the things that breed in it. I never cleaned the sand in all this time
So 1: should I remove the snails or are they beneficial?
2: Should I take the media out of the filter?
3: should I clean the sand?
Just so you know I have not tested the water in some time because I noticed the coral will tell you quickly if there is a problem. Maybe I should start?
The tank is 40 imperial gallons. I do a 5 gallon water change every month, and run it at 1.024 salinity
20210306_132141.jpg
20210306_132149.jpg
20210306_132204.jpg
20210306_132228.jpg

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty side of the hobby! I'd recommend continuing to test the water, especially while you are in the middle of chemical warfare.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi My name is Wally. Just to give you an idea about me. I have been in this hobby for at least 55 years. All fresh water and terrariums. Learned the hard way. Big tank. No chemicals ( which seems to be different with salt ) and DO not overfeed. Presently I have a 60 with cichlids. A 40 salt which my son talked me into. It was a mess full of hair algae which took 6 months to straighten out. Then killing 5 fish by dropping the skimmer cup in it. But the discovered the jewel of salt. Corals. It too was a steep hill. Losing a lot of coral for reasons unknown I have to learn the language yet but I called them hard coral. Then I started picking the right coral and the tank just took off. Now I have a 90 with a 40 sump with built in baffles and all piped up and running just water with a DC pump. I am now retired just a week and want to start. I am watching BRS and want to do it right. Just so you know I am married and my wife calls my basement sea world. So looking forward to getting some advice from experience
Welcome to R2R bud!

Back