Newbie 2020-save-my-sanity 65gal build

Toronto78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
updated Oct 12, 2020

2020 has been interesting to say the least, won't be surprised if the next news-headline is something like "Aliens make first contact". Being stuck at home I thought it would be a good time to start a new hobby and set up a reef tank, something I have always wanted to do. Planning to do a mixed reef system with a focus on corals. Reef2Reef has been an amazing resource, so thank you in advance for critique/recommendations for this newbie!

Still in the setup phase, busy curing dry-rock and will hopefully start rock-scaping this weekend.

Current equipment (Oct 2020):

- Tank: Aquatlantis AquaView 92 rimless tank (35x18x21"h), with a two chamber sump (22x16x14h), and small ATO tank
- Return pump: Sicce Syncra 4 and an AutoAqua Smart Level monitor
- Heater: Two Hygger 200W titanium heaters, with added Inkbird controllers (one has wifi) - thanks for advice on setting up a redundant system!
- Poweheads: AI Nero 3 and an AI Nero 5
- Lighting: Kessil AP9X, and Kessil H80 refu

pending:

- Skimmer/refugium setup: Trying to decide between an in-sump skimmer, vs a HOB skimmer on the sump and using the main sump chamber as a refugium.
--- If no refugium, looking at the RedSea SRK300 or Bubble-Magnus Curve 5 Elite
--- if I split my sump to create a space for a small refugium, considering the ReefOctopus 110SSS
--- If I use the sump as a refugium considering a Reef Octopus HOB BH2000

Any thoughts?

IMG_8282.jpeg IMG_8280.jpeg

Last edited:

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! I'd say you're definitely off to a good start with what you've gathered so far. I figured I'll throw my 2cents your way. I'll start by saying that I am by no means an expert. I'd say after two years of focus I may be leaving the beginner phase of this hobby. What I can provide you with are some things I would have done differently or decisions I've never regretted.

As for the skimmer, I've done two that were both in sump. Mine is located below the display in the sump, while my son's as in the sump area behind his display - thus is more of a nano style skimmer. Both he and I hate seeing the skimmer. It doesn't matter how often you clean it, it looks like crap. I would personally recommend doing the on in the sump rather than a hang on skimmer. I sincerely think that you'll thank yourself for it.

With lights, this is really hard to pin down and you're going to hear multiple different answers. Personally I'm fond of the AquaIllumination series. I think they're good lights, that are dependable, come with good features, and don't break the bank. As for the AI prime 16, one isn't going to cut it, especially if you're doing a mixed tank with SPS. Bulk reef supply did a great video (AI prime Video - BRS) where they measure the par using different numbers of AI primes at different heights. You could watch this and decide if a single light is going to work for you. I encourage you to consider more though especially given the size of your tank and due to the fact that the aquascape is going to cast shadows or entirely block the light from some areas. Having more lights spread over the top of your tank will help eliminate, or at least reduce this.
I can say that going cheap on lighting with my first tank was my biggest regret. After correcting that mistake on one side of the tank by adding some AI primes, I watched my coral growth shoot up on that side! Colors are better too. This is where your corals are getting their food, I strongly encourage you to thoroughly research the needs of the corals you want and look at tanks that have those and see what they're running.

This is definitely something that not everyone seems to agree on... I just started a new tank. I wouldn't even assemble the stand until I converted the outlet to a GFCI. There are plenty of instances of people getting shocked when current starts to leak from faulty equipment, I'd rather have the GFCI there to help ensure that I simply get shocked rather than electrocuted. I made sure that the outlet that my son's tank is on is also GFCI protected once I realized the dangers of not doing this. There are reasons for and against this and you should do some research and make your own decision.

Consider a dosing system. If you want to run a mixed tank you're going to want it in the future anyway for dosing alk and calcium. This is getting a little more advanced, but it is something to start thinking about now.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck on your tank!

OP
OP
Toronto78

Toronto78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both he and I hate seeing the skimmer. It doesn't matter how often you clean it, it looks like crap. I would personally recommend doing the on in the sump rather than a hang on skimmer
Thanks for the great response, for clarity, I meant a hang on skimmer that hangs on the side of the sump, so in essence it is still under the tank in the cabinet. Was just a thought to free up space within the sump.

Will certainly look at a dosing system, it is on my list but thought I need to get a bit more advanced first.

Lighting is currently my biggest issue, will certainly take you advise on thinking about coverage and intensity. Thanks!

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely GFCI the outlet. My 40g bowfront sprung a leak one night and I woke up to it. Trying to unplug my equipment half asleep I got electrocuted pretty bad. If I would have grabbed the cord it could have been much worse. You can buy a short gfci cord at a local hardware store. This will make your outlet much safer.

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run t5 lighting and am very happy with it. They also have hybrid lights that are both t5 and led in one.

OP
OP
Toronto78

Toronto78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, Oct 11, 2020: Aquascaping finally done, started a fishless cycle.

Ended up with two towers, each composed of roughly 10-15 rocks/old coral stuck together. Tried to make it look like an old arch or crescent moon structure that broke apart forming the two towers. A few shelves, including a 10” overhang shelf, four caves, and multiple tunnels to swim through. Also have four islans.
532490B1-9BB3-414B-8290-2614CF2E8541.jpeg
792AB682-94B5-48DB-B3F3-51294541A01E.jpeg
BFF646ED-8DD6-41CA-BAAF-9FB9CC0C20DB.jpeg
05848C13-A52D-4026-A899-8EE7FF29A1C1.jpeg
2CBBEB22-EC33-4B4B-9328-AD101DC2F01A.jpeg
CABBD324-68F5-4035-9B19-2C234A58478B.jpeg
C6362257-7F0F-4475-9CD0-C2427D4B9DB2.jpeg
6EE3005C-1AE9-4916-A3A9-B0F42D5825A5.jpeg

Still playing around with the powerheads to get flow right, too much sand still blowing out in front corners.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure this is your first tank? Yeesh that’s a good scape. You’re off to a great start, man.

OP
OP
Toronto78

Toronto78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for the cycle to end is no fun... so messed around with the aquascape. Created a floating shelf against the back of the tanks using a few magnets.
Concept is to make it look like a rock circle from the front, even though in plan its not connected. Now just need to figure out which corals would work against the back so close to the surface.

4CA746E5-297E-4BA1-B9C8-98245EBC8E32.jpeg
B3D68940-51EC-4D1C-9FCA-1A7C7ECC2C13.jpeg

Last edited:

reefer024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. For that lower floating shelf you could put some Leptastrea or green stars that should start to grow onto the back of the tank. If that's a look you'd like.

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Tank: Aquatlantis AquaView 92 rimless tank (35x18x21"h), with a two chamber sump (22x16x14h), and small ATO tank
Don't you use styrofoam between the tank and the cabinet? Isn't it too dangerous if the front glass hangs down, it's pretty heavy?
Another question: could you please tell me how the tank and the cabinet were delivered? In the single package or there were two packages with the stuff separately? I'm asking because I'm trying to realize how hard will be to lift it upstairs to the apartments...
Thank you.

OP
OP
Toronto78

Toronto78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you use styrofoam between the tank and the cabinet? Isn't it too dangerous if the front glass hangs down, it's pretty heavy?
Another question: could you please tell me how the tank and the cabinet were delivered? In the single package or there were two packages with the stuff separately? I'm asking because I'm trying to realize how hard will be to lift it upstairs to the apartments...
Thank you.
I bought a display unit so the cabinet was already assembled. I think it is typically flat-packed with assembly required. the tank is about 19” deep so should go up any stairwell. Two strong people will be able to carry it. Ps. I do not see how styrofoam will help with glads hanging over, it has no structural integrity. A pad is typically used to help level tank to ensure there are no pressure on the glass. I do not like the look of the foam so i spent three hours levelling the cabinet first with shims.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great start!

OP
OP
Toronto78

Toronto78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... two months in. Went through the ugly phase... tank became too clean so triggered more algae (lol feel bad for the snails and crabs... they need food)

corals are doing very well, zoas are multiplying... have five islands with about 18 variants, GSP doubled in size and the digitata grew about 1cm in three weeks. (Not sure how that compares to the average but i am happy)

lost a clown fish, or rather it lost the dominance fight (and its tail).

snails are breeding like crazy and tank is full of pods (getting ready for a mandarin)

Last edited:

meermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I see you use PVC pipes instead of default hoses.
Could you please tell me which diameter of pipes did you use with those bulkheads? 32 or 40 mm?
I bought recently Aquatlantis AquaView 65 and would like to make the plumbing in the same way.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back