NEWBIE! 29 Gallon aquascape struggle

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!Glad to find a nice forum for this newbie ;)Been in the freshwater game for a long time and always wanted to try out salt so here I am!I took my newest 29 gal tank that had fresh in it for under 3 months and converted it to salt running a basic HOB filter and heater.Im getting new lights, im thinking about a HOB protein skimmer, getting a fan for the current in the tank, and the only issue im having is the acquascaping.The attached is what i have in my tank currently. I will be adding about 15 lbs more of rock (~35 lbs in the tank then)About 2 in of live sand in it and its live fiji rock.My big question is what is the best options i have aesthetically for the tank that you guys can think of? I know i need good flow to prevent the dead spots in the tank but for a reef tank is this going to work out well for the corals once is put them in? I know the tank will look 100% different with corals on it in a year or 2.Please excuse the cheesy decorations, my girlfriend wanted them in there lol

Attachments

• reef.jpg
    reef.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 383

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 too. I think your tank looks good now. A few extra lbs of rock will help, yes. I think most will say, including me, forget the live sand. It's a gimmick. If you want more sand, just put dry sand in. But why? It looks like you have a 1" or 1.5" already? That'll be good for any sandsifters. Once you get close to 3" of sand, you need to start learning about how to take care of a dsb (though 3" is considered the gusp of a dsb). At the most, maybe another extra .5" of sand, max in my opinion.

Here are photos of my tank and aquascape. I have about 1.5" of sand.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/meet-greet-forum/114398-hello-new-reef2reef-com.html

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i got a keeper on the scape. Muchhh better
20130420_153249.jpg

Attachments

• 20130420_153234.jpg
    20130420_153234.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 286

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I would add more sand its not hard to keep and it helps with the biological filteration.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 97 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back