Newbie 750 Gallon......

srm077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOoooo, I bought a house with a built in 750 gallon tank. Fortunately I double majored in Chemistry and Microbiology so I am not afraid of it it. So far things have gone well but I am looking to improve. The Tank is a Tencor Acrylic with rear sump and Bio Balls. I want to add a sump for Chaeto and some Marine Pure. Currently Petco has a 100 gallon tank for $100 bucks. Can I use that as the Fuge / sump? I want will do a rebuild thread with all info but need to know if I should jump on the tank from petco for the additional sump / fuge. Thanks in advance.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can absolutely use that. Really any non-toxic water-tight container can be used honestly. Doesn’t NEED to be a sexy acrylic prefabricated top shelf complex sump. I feel like those are largely brand posturing anyway. If you have a fish room you can use that 100 gallon. Or even a 100+ gallon Rubbermaid stock tank as well. People with jumbo tanks will do that sometimes as well. Were you considering draining that back filter box and using it as an overflow weir for a remote sump I assume?

OP
OP
S

srm077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish room. I constantly make water with a new BRS RODI setup and 4 Brute cans. I had poor water quality when I moved in and have just about fixed it however my research leads me to believe that a Chaeto / Marine Pure setup would be beneficial. I started carbon dosing (vinegar) and have 2 very large skimmers that I wet skim with. This has helped lower my Nitrates dramatically. I want a show tank but I have read that the Tenecor setup is not ideal for that.

OP
OP
S

srm077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can absolutely use that. Really any non-toxic water-tight container can be used honestly. Doesn’t NEED to be a sexy acrylic prefabricated top shelf complex sump. I feel like those are largely brand posturing anyway. If you have a fish room you can use that 100 gallon. Or even a 100+ gallon Rubbermaid stock tank as well. People with jumbo tanks will do that sometimes as well. Were you considering draining that back filter box and using it as an overflow weir for a remote sump I assume?

Don't know. I will post pics tomorrow. I will need to drill the tank but I'm not afraid.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back