Newbie and suprise zoas

hopperjl16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm only a year into this hobby, and right from the beginning I decided zoas (and other similar) corals were out for me. The palytoxin just wasn't something I wanted anywhere near my house, even in small quantities. Well today I received a blastomussa merleti and attached was another coral I couldn't identify, turns out it's a mohawk zoa. Soooo my newbie self is now in a bit of a panic. I want to get dressed up in a hazmat suit, cut it off the plug, triple-bag it and throw it away. Or just throw the whole plug away! So can someone talk me off the ledge? I know I need to get it away from the blastomussa coral, but I'm kinda scared to handle this thing let alone cut it off a plug. Thanks!
c336b750a9b72213e7fdc698743874e1.jpg

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get some tweezers and try to remove them from the rock/coral. They might come off in one piece. Another option would be to smother the polyps with some epoxy. This would be like putting chewed up bubble gum over them. Eventually this will harden up and you'll never even know the polyps were there. In all honesty though I think this whole Palytoxin phenomenon has been blown way out of proportion. I think you put yourself at more risk by driving to the LFS to pick up corals and things then you do by fiddling with these things. Just take some precautions like wearing gloves and eye protection and you should be fine. FWIW I frag these things all the time with my bare hands and nothing bad has ever happened. GL.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while I acknowledge the actual palytoxin, *most* zoas and palys do not excrete/release the toxin in any significant amount. I agree its overly exaggerated.
I have fragged/p'ed off many zoas/palys in my day lol and the only ones Ive ever had negative reactions with were the bigger polyped ones:
upload_2017-3-21_13-37-42.jpeg
upload_2017-3-21_13-37-51.jpeg
upload_2017-3-21_13-38-1.jpeg

upload_2017-3-21_13-38-12.jpeg
images
images

roostertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way to deal with it is submerge it in a bucket of water and scrape off the zoa with a scalpel. If anything come out of the zoa it'll be diluted in the water and won't spray at you. Wear gloves of course. And yeah I think the palytoxin thing is overhyped.

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whichever method you choose be sure it is done outside of the tank.

You could kill them off as described above or, if you an extra frag plug or even a piece of rubble rock, carefully remove and glue them down. This way you could trade them in at the LFS or to another reefer.

Also I'm a paranoid too so I always wear gloves and eye protection (I wear glasses anyway), and sometimes one of those masks you can get at the hardware store for when you're painting.

OP
OP
hopperjl16

hopperjl16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I survived! Only 4 of the 7 zoas did though......I put them on their own rock while I decide if I want to keep them....I'll admit that surviving this episode has peaked my interest in zoas a little. They are quite pretty......

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_3953.JPG
I survived! Only 4 of the 7 zoas did though......I put them on their own rock while I decide if I want to keep them....I'll admit that surviving this episode has peaked my interest in zoas a little. They are quite pretty......
Careful now, they're quite addictive

hatrix11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could sell the ones you removed LOL! They're typically not toxic, but even if they are - as long as you're not huffing them, just open a window and you'll be fine.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are risking far more by trying to remove them from the system than you are by leaving them be.
palytoxin is something that very few of us thankfully have experience with and without question it deserves respect but that being said you probably have hundreds of poisonous chemicals in your house that do just fine when treated properly. don't pulverize them in your tank or boil the rock they're on and if you ever need to frag them wear your ppe.
otherwise, congrats on the bonus coral. mohawks were one of the must have hot zoas just a few years ago!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed

concern only over the palythoa genus

even if you wanted the palythoa, I rate that as an overall lower risk to outbound cross contaminating your environ vs the standard marine bacteria we will undoubtedly spread just by owning a reef tank.

We're far more likely to encounter and spread vibrio and mycobacteria et al from standard reefkeeping and non aseptic handling of marine surfaces vs the palytoxin of concern in this case. its understandable if you want to lessen the risk, its the larger palythoids to consider.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back