Newbie Breeding Perculas AKA SCRAPERS

salmonslayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a Saltwater hobbyists for many years. Mostly SPS, lps, etc. I was at a good friends house/garage. We were playing with one of his many setups. He said hay look at my SCRAPERS they Spawned. I was laughing...... What are SCRAPERS!!!. He said Perculas.. They start scrapping two or three days after Metamorphosis. I asked what are you doing with the eggs. He replied Nothing, why you want to give it a try. Hell yes I'll give it a try. He hand me a book (clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson). Take this home and start reading. Well in a nut shell, I was on my way.
Holly cow!!!! Tanks, phytoplankton, rotifers, etc, etc, etc. Remember I'm new to this breeding thing... There was no way I could get set up in time to get this batch of eggs. I scrambled just to get setup for the next batch of eggs.
Will continue I have my wife giving me that look lol.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Just read read read, and with some trial and error you will be on your way.

I know that look all too well!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
salmonslayer

salmonslayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops my bad. Let's try this lol
IMAG0066.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful clowns!

OP
OP
salmonslayer

salmonslayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few more pictures. The one Fragman is calling lol SRAPPY DOO. Is in the first and second picture. He is the only survivor of my first batch :(. He's the only one with his second bar. The other 6 are the survivors of my second batch.
All the mistakes I've made are do to bad technical errors, trying to transport live fry to feeding etc. No matter how much research I do I fill it has alot to do with practice, practice, and more practice..
Paul, you can chime in anytime after all your the one I keep calling lol
IMAG0369.jpg
IMAG0355.jpg

OP
OP
salmonslayer

salmonslayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the next batch of "WinkerEye"ocellaris. In my main display tank (180gal) I have tile that they layed on. Here is a picture of the batch that didn't make it. This was the pairs first batch. Every day more and more eggs disappear. By day eight I was down to about 8 eggs yes 8.
Not sure if it was tank predators or just not getting there Grove On correctly. I I don't think it was a food issue because I feed heavy.
They layed a new batch on a flower pot. I keep checking them and they seem to be holding up. They were layed on the 26th. I will try and get a picture.
IMAG0310.jpg
IMAG0315.jpg

fragman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cool! Those Fancy Ocellaris are the F1 generation pair that I hooked you up with a year and a half ago! I feel like a Grandpa. You will be ankle deep in clownfish soon. Just keep those rotifers going strong and the rest will come together with a little practice. Lots of good info on this site's breeding forum.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back