Newbie Dosing question.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Liba60
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Liba60

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2014
Messages
26
Reaction score
1
Location
New England
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 14 gallon Biocube that's been running since July. Its been good, no real problems so far. I've been wanting to get into simple dosing to enhance growth in my tank. I've been reading around but there are so many different options and everyone seems to have a different opinion and I'm not sure where to begin. Does anyone know any simple product that I could start dosing my tank with? I perform a 2 gallon water change every two weeks. I checked the other day and my calcium was at 440, Magnesium was at 1290, and my alkalinity was at 10.1 DkH. I'm using the Redsea kit. I also feed phyto-plankton and mysis shrimp once a week to all my corals using a turkey baster. My only SPS is pocilipora, two birdsnest, and a monti cap. Everything is soft or LPS. I'm not even sure if I require dosing or if dosing would help in my situation? Just wondering if I could expedite the growth of my corals really.
Thanks
 
If water changes are keeping your parameters where they should be then I wouldnt worry about dosing until you need to.
 
I think everything is fine at this point and I would keep doing what you are doing. Parameters look good so dosing is not necessary. Just be patient and continue what you are doing and corals will grow in time.
 
I agree with what's already been said. Just keep doing what your doing. Keep parameters stable & balanced. Provide proper lighting and food and they will grow. Most of all, be patient nothing good happens fast :)
 
Pretty much what they said. I would test levels before your 2 week water change. If they are the same, then continue with that. If they are lower then consider dosing or doing more frequent water changes. You want to keep them stable.

You can replenish your levels with water changes. Just note the more corals you add and corals grow the demand becomes higher for those elements.
 
Water changes are keeping your levels where they need to be. Dosing comes into play when there is more demand than you have at this point.
 
Thanks for all your responses. I will keep doing what I'm doing then, thanks! Just have one question is 10.1 DkH for alkalinity ok for my mixed reef?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new