Newbie GHL Doser Questions

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI All! First time poster, long time lurker. I have a 75 Gallon reef with soft corals (mushrooms, palys, frog spawn, star coral) that has done fairly well for 5+ years or so. But I've always had challenges with Zoas and certain other softies, and honestly, I blame my maintenance habits on that -- I know I need to change my water more often to replace trace elements and lower nitrates--but life frequently gets in the way. So regular water changes are never so "regular."

So I need to automate. And I'd like to use a shiny new doser to do that. I don't mind laying out some extra $ up front if it means long term results, and I'm leaning towards the GHL Doser Maxi. But the more research I do, the more I realize that I also want to dose BRS two part as well (i might want to move to SPS at some point, and who knows, maybe LPS too). So I'll need four total pumps, and I think GHL can address this use case, but I have questions and I'm hoping you guys might be able to help...

1. If I need four total pumps as mentioned (2 for AWC, 2 for Calcium and Alkalinity), should I purchase a GHL Doser Maxi and a Doser Maxi slave? Or should I instead opt for a GHL Doser 2.1? Can a Doser 2.1 even do water changes? It seems as if the Doser Maxi was especially made with AWC in mind.

2. Regardless of which option I go with (2 Doser Maxis or the Doser 2.1), I don't need the GHL Profilux 4/4E/Mini, correct? It seems that this might be overkill for what I have laid out above.

3. Is there another brand (DOS?) that might be a better option? Is there anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks very much in advance!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!) These combinations is possible 1 Maxi SA + 1 Maxi slave (or more). 1 Maxi SA + 1 Doser2.1 slave (or more). 1 Doser 2.1 SA + Maxi slave (or more) or 1 doser 2.1 SA + 1 doser 2.1 slave (or more)

SA = Stand Alone. Every SA unit can handle up to 16 heads (probably 32 in the future) You can also have a P4 and optional slave units - P4 can already handle 32 pump heads. Of cause - you can if you only want 1 unit use 1 maxi SA or a doser2 SA.

Doser 2.1 is not constructed for continuous pumping.

Instructions says max 15 minutes followed of a 15 minutes stop. It can pump around 40 ml/minute - it means that max amount to pump during a day is around 20 L. But if you are doing a small daily WC of 1 - 5 L a day - it can be used as AWC

No - but if you chose to use a 4E and slave Doser 2.1 - it will be cheaper I think.

2) Yes its correct if you use a SA as main unit

3) I can´t see any other option with this type of variation - but I can be wrong - have happens before :D

Sincerely Lasse

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Search for GHL Maxi on the forum. There are some suggestions that people are having trouble getting spare parts for it, and rumours it may be being discontinued (and/or maybe replaced with a new model). I don't have any info on this, just passing on what I've read, which may or may not be true!

OP
OP
Cavalina

Cavalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback guys. You're right @FishyFishFish it appears as if the Maxi's future is uncertain. Sounds as if GHL will have news related to this in the months ahead. Regardless, I decided that even if the Maxi had a completely certain future, this option is not best for me. It is simply too loud from the reports of others (and Youtube videos too). And the Dos is even worse apparently. Given that I don't plan on putting this 50 feet away in my garage--it will be next to my Sump under my cabinet--noise is a major factor for me. All that said, I am now leaning towards the Ecotech Versa pump. If/when they eventually come back in stock, I'll likely be purchasing a pair of them.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your feedback guys. You're right @FishyFishFish it appears as if the Maxi's future is uncertain. Sounds as if GHL will have news related to this in the months ahead. Regardless, I decided that even if the Maxi had a completely certain future, this option is not best for me. It is simply too loud from the reports of others (and Youtube videos too). And the Dos is even worse apparently. Given that I don't plan on putting this 50 feet away in my garage--it will be next to my Sump under my cabinet--noise is a major factor for me. All that said, I am now leaning towards the Ecotech Versa pump. If/when they eventually come back in stock, I'll likely be purchasing a pair of them.

I run a Maxi for ATO and 2x4 Doser 2.1's for other stuff.

I agree, it's fairly loud, but it is more quiet than the DOS. It's a workhorse though, high volume throughput.
I'd definitely buy the new Maxi when it's released.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back