Newbie here

TheDean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiance has a very nice 130 gallon tank. I bought her some Radion lights which were just installed yesterday. But I've heard her say that she would like a better heating system and also the Apex system. Looking to surprise her with these two items but while researching them, I really don't know what I am looking at. I am very new to this hobby. Any help?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, with aquarium controllers, it's all about how much control you want to have. I have an Apex Classic, but it was not the top-of-the-line version. I do not have ORP or salinity. I just run temperature and pH probes.

I use the controller to run the heaters, pumps, and lighting cycle. I also use it (out of convenience) to turn off my return pump and skimmer during water changes. The ApexEL looks like a nice compromise without going for the full-blown system with optional upgrades if she wants that in the future.

Do you know what kind of heater she currently runs? She can use the Apex as the heater controller if you get her the Apex :)

OP
OP
TheDean

TheDean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the current heater. But I do know that she wants to have complete control of everything via her phone.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the current heater. But I do know that she wants to have complete control of everything via her phone.
You can do that with the Apex. I can do anything I need to from my phone or tablet (even though I prefer to use the desktop).

OP
OP
TheDean

TheDean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Apex should I look at? Seems like there are a few of them.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Apex should I look at? Seems like there are a few of them.
Do you have any price range restrictions? I would look at the ApexEL, but if that cost is too high, you could pick up a classic at a pretty nice discount.

OP
OP
TheDean

TheDean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get her the nicest that I can. What's the difference between the two?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (or had) all the money I wanted to spend on a controller. I bought the Apex wifi which has more sensors and costs $800. The problem is that those sensors are totally unnecessary and don't really provide all that much information. So if I did it over again I would buy the APEX EL and save $300.

I would fairly strongly advise against buying an apex classic. They are outdated technology and some of the new modules don't work with them.

I would buy an Apex El, and a leak detection module ( called the LDK). this unit sits on the floor and can shut the tank off when it detects water on the floor.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef
IMG_20191112_193349_01.gif

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back