Newbie Need some advice please.

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK first of all here is the numbers I have and some back history. Tank started in December 2018 so almost 11 months in. Started with Dry rock Live sand shallow bed by the way. Added 2 juvenile clowns fairly quickly and all was well. Made it through the diatom bloom OK. For months I had no real useful lighting other than a re-purposed freshwater light but no real need as I had nothing requiring lights. Tank is not near sunlight. My rock started getting some green algae on it but not fuzzy just a discoloration type green cast to the rocks. I have recently added a 48" 4 bulb T5 HO light 2 atinic and 2 10k . Water Parameters are as follows PH 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0. Salinity 1.024. I do have a small CUC that has been their for several months now I put them in shortly after the Diatom outbreak. Once I got my light I added a Purple Tipped anemone, and a about a 3 inch GSP (or that's what i was told it is was) on its own little island. I got these yes because they are inexpensive and I am told fairly hardy. I really don't have anyone to consult locally as I am in rural KY. Finding a local store that carries fish is not easy and find one that carries saltwater fish is a 2 hour drive. I thought about removing rock and scrubbing them but I just now got a couple small areas of what appears to be some really deep purple coralline algae going and hate to kill it but ?? . Clowns seem fine happy as can be. OH lights are on a timer 6am all on 9pm all off except for 4 blue led's,,,, I have one of the Coralife Aqua Lunar lights so I run the 4 small led's at night.

My concerns are three fold.

1. I been trying to wait out the green algae but this is not working :( I feel like I need to do something ?
2. Purple tipped Anemone seems healthy but he closes up at night looks dead every morning either wilted up to nothing or closed up like ball, but when the light comes on he slowly opens up to full bloom ?
3. GSP Closes up at night and opens up with the return of the light however the percentage of opening seems to be deteriorating, for example day after i put in in the tank it looked really good by the next day i would say 100 percent a week or so later it closes at night opens up maybe 70 percent.

also is that GSP ? in pic

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

PTA1.jpg gsp.JPG

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Algae doesn't look too bad from the pics. Do you know where your phosphates are? Seems like a long photo period. Might consider shortening it. More CUC?
2. Beautiful nem. Looks happy to me.
3. Definitely GSP. I would monitor. Don't think I could kill mine with a blowtorch. :) My brother, on the other hand was able to kill a large colony I gave him within a month.

Hopefully someone else will chime in soon.

OP
OP
Rodney Butcher

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Algae doesn't look too bad from the pics. Do you know where your phosphates are? Seems like a long photo period. Might consider shortening it. More CUC?
2. Beautiful nem. Looks happy to me.
3. Definitely GSP. I would monitor. Don't think I could kill mine with a blowtorch. :) My brother, on the other hand was able to kill a large colony I gave him within a month.

Hopefully someone else will chime in soon.
Thanks I am going to dial back the photo period some and going to look into a different test kit. I only have the API saltwater kit but looking at upgrading that now. Thanks again for the response !!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the nem closing perfectly normal.
Gsp will do that as well at night. Mine both do that as well.
The nem is a a haitan tipped anemone. They may become a fish eater. Very unlikely the clown will host and if they try may become dinner. It's a gorgeous nem.

OP
OP
Rodney Butcher

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the nem closing perfectly normal.
Gsp will do that as well at night. Mine both do that as well.
The nem is a a haitan tipped anemone. They may become a fish eater. Very unlikely the clown will host and if they try may become dinner. It's a gorgeous nem.
Thanks for the reply and for the heads up on the nem. I remember the the lady at the fish store saying something about it being a Haitian.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately reduce the time the lights are on. Also, you may want to invsest in a better nitrate kit. I highly doubt your nitrates are zero. I mean maybe, but not likely

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back