Newbie Nuvo INT 75 Mixed Reef Build

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should of started this thread a couple of months ago as I'm sure the community would of caught some minor (but annoying) mistakes I've made along the way. I've been busy relocating from San Francisco to Chicago while getting our 75 gallon up and running. It has been a fun and interesting journey so far, and hopefully that will continue. I've had small freshwater tanks in my teens/college, and my first foray into saltwater was a 10 gallon AIO this past '18 summer (it is humming along nicely). My partner and I have decided to jump up to something bigger, hence this 75INT Innovative Marine build thread.

Below is my list of components that have so far gone into our build. I'll try and keep this as extensive as possible so fellow refers can have a shopping list resource and not forget some of the important but minor items (like I have).

As of 1/7/2019 the tank has been running for 2 weeks.

=========================================
Components:

Aquarium:
Stand:
  • Innovative Marine IM SR-60
  • NB: Provided cut out instructions for top board were incorrect, make it 1" deeper and 1" wider. Top horizontal support beam was mis-located. No instructions provided. Shift it a few inches off center to the left (in between 1st and 2nd bulkheads)
  • Shims for leveling
  • Tape (to cover those annoying little screws on the top board that prevent the tank from sliding on/off easily)
  • Mods:
    1. Wood strips to support the bottom internal board. It flexes easily
    2. 1/2" plywood cut to size of internal left and right faces
      • Paint and stain
      • Secure with L brackets and #6 1/2" screws into groves of aluminum frame
      • Attach securely any device or shelf you want
Sump:
  • DIY - Aqueon 20G tall
    • 3D model available, PM me
  • Chemistry Probes: (Profilux 4 based)
    • pH
    • Temperature
    • Salinity
    • ORP
  • Profilux Probe holder (terrible design, I don't have confidence it will stay in position. I need to replace it)
  • Silicone: GE Silicone 1 Window and Door
  • Laser cut 3/8" black acrylic
Plumbing:
ATO:
Aquascape:
Chemware:
Testware:
Bioware:
  • 1st addition:
    • Dry rock matured in basement for 3 months in saltwater
    • Cycled with Fritz TurboStart
    • Red banded cleaner shrimp (Stinky)
    • Red legged hermit crab
    • Blue legged hermit crab
  • 2nd addition (2nd month):
    • Yellow watchman goby (Gilbert)
    • Randall's pistol shrimp (Dozer)
    • Coralline algae, ARC pink and purple bottles
  • 3rd addition (3rd month):
  • Da'Vinci clown (Lucy)
  • 4th addition (3rd month):
  • Da'Vinci clown (Desi 2.0, the only thing not QT'd)
  • 5th addition (5th month):
  • Bengai Cardinal, mated pair (Morticia and Gomez)
  • Firefish x 3
  • Royal gramma
  • Panamic barnacle blenny x 7 (The Muppets)
  • Coralline algae, ARC pink and purple bottles
  • 6th addition (6 month):
  • Blue mandarin, female, Biota captive bred (only eats live food)
  • Future fish I want to add:
  • Purple tang
Electronic Equipment:
  • Controller:
  • Return Pumps
  • Heater:
    • 2 x 200 W, Jager TruTemp
    • Primary heater is controlled by Profilux temperature probe at 25C, but internal heater thermostat is set to 26C.
    • Secondary heater is set to 24C and on permanent power.
    • Primary concern is that heater fails on - thermostat within the heater acts as backup (26C). 2nd concern is that heater fails off - 2nd, independent, always on, heater would turn on (24C).
  • Wave Maker (display):
  • Refugium lighting:
    • 45W grow light
    • The best option I could find for my long and narrow refugium chamber.
  • Skimmer:
  • Wave maker to mix salt:
Display lighting:
RODI System:
Food and Nutrition:
Miscellaneous:

Last edited:

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! I noticed you have kalkwasser and two part. Which method are you going to start out with? Or are you planning on adding both? I’ve seen some people do this and heavily stocked tanks...

OP
OP
P

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! I noticed you have kalkwasser and two part. Which method are you going to start out with? Or are you planning on adding both? I’ve seen some people do this and heavily stocked tanks...
BRS recommends using the 2 part to get your system in line before starting KW. I'm keeping this all as simple as possible, so KW once I get coral in there. You may have also noticed that I'm not using media reactors...just mesh bags. Simpler. Less to fail. Fewer outlets needed! LOL

OP
OP
P

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

OP
OP
P

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added in our clownfish a few days ago (unfortunately we lost her partner due to a successful suicide attempt while we were on vacation), a couple of bottles of ARC coralline, a bottle of apo. pods and a bottle of phyto (unsure what species). Also started getting the Alk/Ca/Mg parameters where we want them. To get the coralline to grow I have turned on the lights @ 50% for 2 hrs per day. I'm still working in the cabinet to get it all tidied up so I won't post pictures of that till I get it all sorted out. My main stumbling block is how to mount all of the electronics given that the stand is made of aluminum and thin sheets of plastic. Right now I'm using a sheet of egg crate (that's leaning on the left hand side of the inside of the stand) and zip ties but it needs better support...which I think I've figured out.

harthag12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on your equipment mounting for the electronics? I'm setting up a 100 EXT & forsee the same problem, I'll likely mount in a cabinet next to it.

OP
OP
P

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on your equipment mounting for the electronics? I'm setting up a 100 EXT & forsee the same problem, I'll likely mount in a cabinet next to it.

Yes! Egg crate sucks! Don't bother with it.

I cut two pieces of 1/2" thick plywood to the size of the interior left and right faces. These will fit in nicely if you cut them ~1/8th" short on each side. I painted them with some left over stain and wood sealant that I had in my basement, but I'm sure you could find something much more appropriate to protect them from moisture. Once loosely in place, use 2 x 1/2" screws to attach some L shaped brackets on the sides. You only need one per side. Protrude the brackets over the edge and slot them into the groove in the aluminum bars. This is pretty easy to do if you don't have your sump in place (I did). From there the boards are very secure and you can screw to the board anything you wish. Just make sure you use the appropriate length screws. I used screws and velcro to attach all my electronics. I also screwed zip tie holders to keep cables in place. Along the aluminum bars I used sticky backed zipties for cable management. Worked out great!

You can even add on shelves if you need them.

I highly recommend doing this even if you plan on adding a cabinet for electronics. It is just so much easier to put in place before you have your sump up and running. And it's all pretty cheap...not sure how much everything was, but <$100.

L brackets: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Flat-Corner-Brace-4-Pack-15292/202033975
#6 1/2" screws: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DHD8JV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Zipties: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075Y9J42T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
P

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How You liking that coralbox skimmer? Quiet?

As it is my first skimmer, I can't compare it to anything. But it skims quietly and works well. Easy enough to remove the cup for emptying (I don't use the included drain yet).

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ckjhill How do you like the tank and stand so far? I think I may get a 100 EXT. You should consider becoming a member on NJRC and also starting a build thread. We have members all over the state. A few too in Hudson county.

ckjhill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a great setup. The stand went together in 20 mins..the only issue would be the bottom of the stand. I wish they would have put something rigid on the floor instead of the black mat. This is my first big saltwater tank..I upgraded from a AIO 16 gallon Biocube that I had for 5 years running. So this was my first shot at plumbing a tank..went smooth...not one leak in the pipes..now I wish I went with a bigger tank but living in an Apartment complex has its limits...

20191206_201400.jpg 20191228_173710.jpg

ckjhill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a trigger emerald 39...not a solid bottom..I could have put down some plywood but I didnt..I also didn't like the fact that there was no rear wall either...so I did a half wall in the back...

20191206_195503.jpg 20191211_135058.jpg 20191206_125246.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back