Newbie - please help with ID

DuckyinthePotty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Recently got this hammer and didn’t notice anything in the skeleton initially but after a day I noticed the yellow and orange spots. I assume those are sponges. There is a small polyp in between the yellow and orange spots that wasn’t there before. I just noticed it but it’s too tiny to tell. I suspect aiptasia? The thing circled in yellow, I have scoured the internet and found nothing like it. It closes up when touched and looks nothing like a new head forming. Does anyone know what this is?

The bottom of the frag also seems to be turning black but I can’t be certain since I did t take pictures of it the day I received it. Is this normal? If not, what can/should I do?

Thanks in advance!

F77FCD10-F85E-4284-947E-3EC45B8A9884.jpeg

46947BD0-06B9-496B-8498-92AF23903EE1.jpeg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree first picture circled is probably a tunicate. In the second picture, I think you're correct. That looks like a small aiptasia between the orange and yellow sponges. It may have been retracted when the frag was first acquired which would make it very difficult to see at that size.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! Guess I really should wear my glasses!

Didn’t see that little guy!

It’s great that it’s on the frag rack.

Remove from tank and remove the aiptasia and give a good sw rinse to get any little pieces that may be left behind!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Tunicate and sponge.

OP
OP
D

DuckyinthePotty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I didn't expect to get this many responses so quickly;Joyful Good thing I set up a quarantine! As my O-Chem TA used to tell us "Trust no one!" glad years of paranoia pay off:p

@mta_morrow - you probably don't need those glasses. That little aiptasia is super tiny and blends in well with the skeleton and the picture quality is terrible. Thank you for the tips. I will be sure to treat it in a holding so I don't get spores on the other frags I'm quarantining

@IslandLifeReef - thank you for the tip. Will get some glue immediately!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back