Newbie reefer/ questions

Ladyyofthaseaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, semi new to this hobby. I had done salt water when I was living in Hawaii but since I’ve moved I wanted to learn more about coral. Anyone know how good the LEDs for a bio cube 32 is? And if you have any tips for a new reefer what would they be? My system has been cycling since October of last year but I hadn’t been too focused on it since my only fish jumped out. I was wanting to start fresh and maybe look into starting coral first? Or one coral one fish? Is adding coral like adding the fish can I only add a few at a time without throwing my parameters out of wack?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Adding a few coral and/or a few fish at a time is reasonable. They have different impact on the tank, but moderation is generally a good approach so the the tank can keep up and be managed.

Clownfish.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, semi new to this hobby. I had done salt water when I was living in Hawaii but since I’ve moved I wanted to learn more about coral. Anyone know how good the LEDs for a bio cube 32 is? And if you have any tips for a new reefer what would they be? My system has been cycling since October of last year but I hadn’t been too focused on it since my only fish jumped out. I was wanting to start fresh and maybe look into starting coral first? Or one coral one fish? Is adding coral like adding the fish can I only add a few at a time without throwing my parameters out of wack?
Welcome!

Glad you joined. Hawaii is so beautiful - had a chance to visit for a week right before COVID March 2020 lockdown on travels. Must have been wonderful to see Ocean both in your home and outside your door but now at least you still have tiny bit of Ocean in your new home.

Agree with tips already given, so only thing I'd add is be sure to dip coral frags before introducing. BRS 'best of dip' video was very informative and we expanded our dip to multiple dip processes and hydrogen peroxide on frag plug if can't just remove frag plug (softies or mushrooms) but don't get hydrogen peroxide on coral.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

OP
OP
Ladyyofthaseaa

Ladyyofthaseaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Hawaii was an amazing place beautiful inside and out the cleanest air you will ever take and all views breathtaking! The only thing I couldn’t have was coral in the tank but I had seen it done illegally haha I’m just not that person.

Well I’ll definitely take a look at the BRS video. I binge watch them pretty often. I love all there tips.

well I never thought to much about it but maybe I can take tips from you and start! So I can keep track of everything happening within it! I see a lot of before,after, 6months, 12 months type of thing. So you just create a new thread for building?

also still hoping if anyone knows how good the biocube lighting is lol want to make sure my lights are strong enough or if I should remove the lid and just screen it but I noticed when my kid was up my water evaporates so dang quickly!

OP
OP
Ladyyofthaseaa

Ladyyofthaseaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Adding a few coral and/or a few fish at a time is reasonable. They have different impact on the tank, but moderation is generally a good approach so the the tank can keep up and be managed.

Clownfish.gif
Thank you I will definitely keep that in mind. I’ll just look more into the hardy coral when I start forsure!

OP
OP
Ladyyofthaseaa

Ladyyofthaseaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I would agree with adding a few of each, then monitor how it effects your parameters. I would also recommend adding a screen top.
Oh haha it was actually a weird incident I do have a cover he jumped out of the tank but within the lid? It was freakishly weird but maybe if I decide to change lights I will consider doing that forsure!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back