Newbie starting first tank...Help and advice please :)

OP
OP
M

Megabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so-
Tank-14 gallon hexagon

Stocking-
2 ocellaris clowns
1 tuxedo urchin
1 skunk shrimp
CUC

I will probably use dry rock. I think i need to cure it right? Then after its cured use some form of beneficial bacteria to get they cycle going. How does this sound?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add the rock and bacteria to the tank. A fuel source is needed to grow the bacteria, this can be a little vinegar or a chunk of raw shrimp. Once the tank is cycled add your fish.

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curing is kind of a loose term i suppose, my version of curing is running the rock in a brut trash can with salt water, heater and spare pump. I usually dose microbactor7 or something similar during this time, not sure if it helps or does anything but it makes me feel better. Really what it is doing for dry rock is thoroughly rinsing it and perhaps getting some beneficial bacteria to start forming for when you go to scape your tank.

OP
OP
M

Megabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add the rock and bacteria to the tank. A fuel source is needed to grow the bacteria, this can be a little vinegar or a chunk of raw shrimp. Once the tank is cycled add your fish.
Ok I will rince the rock to get all the dust and stuff off then I will start my cycle. Thanks for your help!

Royal Gramma Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! Im not sure what other fish I would want to add but concerning the live rock, it doesn't look like my LFS has pests but I can ask. Would I need to cure the live rock? My LFS has blue leg hermits would those work? Thanks for your help! :)
You could try introducing a Royal Gramma into the tank. They are peaceful basslets that are very colorful and have a lot of character. I have one that gets along fine with my clown pair and cleaner shrimp.

OP
OP
M

Megabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try introducing a Royal Gramma into the tank. They are peaceful basslets that are very colorful and have a lot of character. I have one that gets along fine with my clown pair and cleaner shrimp.
Those are pretty. Do you know of any other fish I could add (though i probably will just stick with a pair of clowns)

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add live sand, I used Fiji live sand and love it, just make sure you rinse it. Provides plenty of beneficial bacteria! I cycled my tank fishless for 6 weeks before testing with one clown. Then I let him sit in there for about 4 weeks and added the female. If your wanting a anemone/clownfish pair, I would add the anemone first, but that required a better light.

OP
OP
M

Megabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your help i really appreciate it but I was doing some more research about the dry rock and if I put it straight into the tank wont it leach phosphate? Ive heard its not directly going to hurt fish but it can lead to awful algae and stuff. Is this true? Should I still do the dry rock and go straight to cycling? Thanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back