Newbie to REEF2REEF and self taught in the ways of reef tanking lol

pireefgirl85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, from the Gulf Coast in Coonassville South Louisiana; lovely Pecan Island! Lol
Im new to this group, and pretty fresh in the saltwater/reef tank hobby.
I was actually thrown into it, without floaties, and had to learn to swim pretty quickly.
Can we say one heck of a learning curve?! [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]
I had no idea about correct water parameters, the difference between a coral and an anemone...literally, nothing.
I was offered, wellll more so kind of forcefully given, a 100 gallon reef tank and all of its inhabitants and supplies(it was in a state of total disarray, so imagine the nightmare this newbie took on with an OLD established banged up tank full of hair algae, coral unidentified, broken pieces in the sand bed, murky water that you do not even want to know the parameters. I say it often, now that I know exactly what I was handed...the original tank inhabitants that are still alive and well,never lost a single one, could survive the bubonic plague![emoji85]).
Needless to say, it took a 40 ft closed in box trailer to haul tank, 55 gallon drums for live rock, buckets for fish with aeration, and the SIX different pump systems that came with it, plus food, cleaning supplies, chemicals, etc. 40+ miles to BFE country. Anyone familiar with South LA can sympathize with me on this, with our road conditions.(My father in law actually rode in the box trailer to holdthe buckets up right that contained all the fish and live rock...mans got a set, that's for sure! [emoji110][emoji110])
Well, none of these 5000 systems that were given to me had instruction manuals...so, imagine the panic that ensued when I arrived home with all these pieces and parts and hoses, and filters, and sumps, and fish that needed to be retanked asap.
Thank gawd for YouTube and Google! [emoji120] lol
Sooooo, after the [emoji90] show of setting that bad boy up, I run a 30 gallon sump with a Reef Octopus 110 and a Hydor 600 canister. I have an extra Reef Octopus DBH-300 Protein Skimmer Dual Hang On Back, a Fluval Canister, some other Florida brand protein skimmer, and numerous pieces and parts to other systems I have no clue what they are, for back up. And, I have enough chemicals and medication to turn the GOM into the Carribean [emoji85] I also run a 30 gallon qt tank, permanently, after one horrible experience with a Sailfin Tang from Satan's Layer, as I now call it(Petco)hahahaha I checked their water parameters from the bag our fish came in, and [emoji33] I'll stick to local marine stores from now on.
Also have a 10 gallon hospital tank for all incoming inverts/coral.
And, my originals....my Oscar, parrot, and cichilid 60 gallon FW tank.

Here's a list of what inhabits my saltwater DT, and a picture:

1- Yellow Tang(currently quarantined)
1- Coral Beauty Angel
1- Mated Pair Maroon Gold Stripped Clownfish(Mafia lords!! Worst fish in the history of ever)
1- Six Line Wrasse
1- Mandarin Dragonet
1- Blue Springer Damsel
1- Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
1-Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby
2- Firefish Goby
6- Green Chromis
2- Banggai(Banner) Cardinals
1- Kole(Yellow Eye) Tang
1- Zebra Barred(Bar Goby) Dartfish(Currently MIA/POW. Seen him darting by this morning and haven't seen him since [emoji53])
1- Royal Gramma Basslet

1- Harlequin Shrimp
2- Peppermint Shrimp
1-Cleaner Shrimp
1-Brittle Starfish I found lurking around that hitchhiked in and I can't catch. [emoji51]
And a clean up crew consisting of numerous Nassarius snails(which just had babies all over my tank [emoji33]), red leg hermits, blue and orange leg hermits, and one HUGE, scary, mexican turbo snail, that I unearthed one afternoon, and I named the kracken! [emoji15] lol

7- Australian Duncan Polyps
1- Blastomussa Welsi
1- Blue Eye Lithophyllon Chalice
1- Green Toadstool Leather Coral
1- Meteor Shower Cyphastrea Coral
1- Montipora(Pristine) Plate Coral
1-Revere Superman Montipora(pink and blue)
1- Red Montipora(Velvet Branch) Digitata
2-Green Ricordea Mushrooms
1-Super Cultured(Chili Coral-Red and Orange) Alyconium Plate
1- plate of snake polyps
1-Kenya Tree Coral
1-Pipe Organ Rock (Daisy Coral)

I think that's everything, aside from a few pieces of coral I've yet to identify, that I've found hiding on the back side of the tank attached to random rocks. (I'll post pics and maybe someone can help me with that)
6f34c0f90723fc84143581abf3ac280b.jpg

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Enjoy your new addiction.
Your best friend if you can swing it will be multiple +/-20% water changes to get water parameters in line. You probably also want to use a powerhead to blast accumulated detritus out of the rockwork.
You can stay with the canister filters if you want to, but unless you clean them out weekly or so they will be nitrate factories.
Be careful of the damsel and 6 line once settled, they can be real jerks and the maroons will definitely bite you when your hand is in their territory.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot to mention, you probably want to get an ATO on the system to make keeping the salinity stable easier on you. Then you just need a tote of RODI water instead of topping off every day.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, from the disastrous state you describe getting it in, to the picture you have posted, it looks like you've done a great job on the rehab!

You've joined a great community and if you have any questions, we're here to help!

OP
OP
pireefgirl85

pireefgirl85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot to mention, you probably want to get an ATO on the system to make keeping the salinity stable easier on you. Then you just need a tote of RODI water instead of topping off every day.
I do 25% water change once a month... partials sometimes (10-15) if I notice my coral looking a little unhappy or I use water for qt. I check my parameters daily... I have a very healthy and happy, stable, tank. In regards to the six line and Chromis, they were originals with the system. I've heard that it can be hit or miss with the wrasse...my guy/gal is just a muncher. Lol not bothered by anything and spends the day picking rocks. Fat, happy, and very peaceful/timid.
I do have an ATO(didn't list all of these extras) as well as 100 GPD Aquatic Buddy RODI System. I keep my salinity at 1.025 and I run two low watt heaters to maintain a temp of 78°. I clean all filter media in my canister no less than once a week and replace or reactivate my carbon media bag. My sump has 200 micron mesh socks as well...i have 14 of them. On day 6 i run a load in my washer to start fresh the next week.
I need to find the pictures of what the tank looked like when I went to pick it up compared to where it is now.

OP
OP
pireefgirl85

pireefgirl85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Enjoy your new addiction.
Your best friend if you can swing it will be multiple +/-20% water changes to get water parameters in line. You probably also want to use a powerhead to blast accumulated detritus out of the rockwork.
You can stay with the canister filters if you want to, but unless you clean them out weekly or so they will be nitrate factories.
Be careful of the damsel and 6 line once settled, they can be real jerks and the maroons will definitely bite you when your hand is in their territory.

I have two powerheads (in addition to the returns from my canister and sump) I keep instant ocean 200 gallon bulk boxes of salt as back up stacked in my utility room, for just in case lol (we live 60 miles from nearest LFS) And, idk if I explained that correctly...i run a hydor 600 canister in addition to my reef octopus protein skimmer in the 30 gallon sump (whole over flow box set up, etc) YouTube and these forum groups were my BFF, but thankfully I have some understanding of biology and the checks and balances (nurse here) so it did give me a slight upper hand. I'm also pretty OCD, bc INFECTION CONTROL and GERMS, and sometimes I wonder if I keep the tank too clean. Lol the crabs sit there and look at me like put the scraper down, and step away from the turkey baster and the sand bed! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

andy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I like the enthusiastic description of how you got the new tank running, and especially the photo of it! I'm new to reefing too, after running fowlr tanks in various states of success over the past 5 years using tap water.

OP
OP
pireefgirl85

pireefgirl85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I like the enthusiastic description of how you got the new tank running, and especially the photo of it! I'm new to reefing too, after running fowlr tanks in various states of success over the past 5 years using tap water.
Thank you! It's been an adventure! We are holding steady, and stable. I have all the inhabitants I want, for now, so I'm just watching my coral grow. Although, I have been considering if maroon gold stripped clownfish taste anything like Red Snapper???
Lol!!! They are the mafia lords of my tank, and they bite! So territorial, constantly kicking up sand, and they are now attempting to host in my gorgeous duncan. Their days are numbered...
d4729efae1bfb612e32e67e8dfc26970.jpg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! After reading the description I was not expecting the tank to look as good as it does now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back