Newbie with a pico

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got no saltwater experience and a 2 gallon cube. Bad idea? Yup. Still going to do it? Absolutely.

I've actually got the tank set up and cycling right now, now I'm rethinking what corals I want. Originally I was just going to do just softies, but looking at the size of the tank, I don't think that's going to be practical long term. This is an 8" cube, full of rock right now. There's not much growing space, especially if something decides to grow fast. So now I'm considering some LPS as well.

What I'm considering:
-Duncan
-Acan / micromussa
- Blastomussa
- candy cane
- zoa garden

Light is an adjustable Coralife 50/50 20 watt cfl

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just make sure that you share pictures along the way! Good luck!

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xm4VD3E.jpg

NoqDwGl.jpg

Welp here it is in all it's new glory. Mostly dry rock with a single piece of live rock. On that rock came Steve, the clam. Also a brittle star and a 5" bristle worm. The worm startled me. This is an 8" tank.

P19CemA.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after much nothing, it seems as though my tank has finished, or is very close to finishing cycling. Given that there's a bit of an algae bloom in places I can't reach (I think I'm out of the diatom stage already, now on to red algae), I assembled my avengers.

x3 of the tiniest Blue Legged Hermit crabs I've ever seen
x1 _____ snail (also fairly small)
x1 bristle worm
x1 Steve

and maybe x2 brittle stars, if they'd ever leave their caves

I'm going to have to order new test kits, since it looks like at least the ammonia test in my kit has gone bad. In the meantime, I took a sample of my water to my LFS, and it was pronounced that I have fairly low pH. A generous handful of crushed coral was shoved into my hand, along with the aforementioned crabs and snail.

The coral was calling to me though. I really felt it. Any ideas on when I might be able to add some? Maybe meh-colored zoas, possibly GSP to start with? I have my eye on a few designer zoas, but I'll definitely wait on those until I'm more experienced and better equipped. Somehow.

Pic spam incoming!
s0pEH5w.jpg

Before crushed coral was added. I mean it's pretty much the same color, just different size and texture.
mXwdGjl.jpg

ohn7Tr1.jpg

Anyone know what kind of snail this might be? Totally forgot as soon as I walked out the door
2Yaieit.jpg

Avengers (mostly) assembled
PtsvQbT.jpg

VdcMFV1.jpg

<3 Steve. I still have no idea what you are, or why you've decided to be there, but I <3 you.

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I sorted out the pH issue- I hadn't added enough salt in my last water change. I've been paying much more attention to it now. And now I really, really, want to get some coral...

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, time to evict the bristle worms! Why? Because they were eating my brand new (slightly more expensive than anticipated) corals.

Got a neon green candy cane with unknown hitchhikers, and the literal star of the show - Star Fire Zoas. They were a bit rich for my blood, but I had money and I couldn't stop looking, so I got them. And now I still can't stop looking at them. Final placement has yet to be decided. Oh, and I lowered the light by a couple inches.

lgcmaOG.jpg

qHP5Wtl.jpg

e2iEX26.jpg

B931QIK.jpg

Question.
Anyone know what these hitchhiker polyps(?) are on my candy cane?

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo! Finally got that (attempted) zoa- munching jerk! There's a smaller one left, but he's been more elusive.

8KesaRn.jpg

Used a plastic eyedropper to make a trap
bij5arM.jpg

Go go go go! Attack!
E0Tn4Af.jpg

Gotcha, jerk!

OP
OP
K

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops, haven't updated in awhile!

Few things have changed. Mostly getting more coral than I probably should have, but I needs the more. Always the more. So far everyone seems to be doing ok, sometimes one guy or another gets grumpy for some unknown reason, but a good feeding and a water change seem to usually sort that out. I can understand.

7LJBQce.jpg

nc63mHn.jpg

8epa8jo.jpg

zRr5q9o.png

aZN0Fv2.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back