pnoydlyte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone
im new to the site and new to saltwater

i had a few questions on starting a new tank
im thinking about starting a 10 gallon nano reef but not sure how to really start
i already have the tank, filter (penguin 100), heater (50w marineland), diy stand, and small powerhead (generic japanese brand i got from my cousin).
i want to stock it with a pair of clownfish and have some zoas and other softies that i can get

what i need help is what kind of lighting would i need and any other words of advice

Hawkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe a retro fit if you have a hood and i going to assume that your not going to be using a chiller to keep the water temp down so use a fan there are also clip on lights call viper lights the are 70 or 150 watt and there is also on that has a built on fan
links:
JBJ K-2 Viper Deluxe 250W HQI Clamp on Lamp Lighting Fixture w/ 2 LEDs & Fan | F3Pets.com

this is not the cheepest online but it gives you an idea they are a sweet light for litle tanks you may also be able to find a used one and 70watt would work just fine.

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get one of those small Current t5ho fixtures, it would suffice quite well!
Welcome to R2R!!

I

inactive

View Badges
Welcome to R2R! There are many lighting options for you to choose from. Even more if you are a DIY type of person. :)

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a 10 gal nano last year I used the old double bulb incandescent style hood that came with the freebie tank, I went to petco, picked up a couple of coral life 50/50 power compact screw in florescent type bulbs, the were 10-15$ each ( one was on the clearance table) they worked great for the softies, I slide a spacer ( a piece of scrap wood / dowel) between the edge of the fixture and the top of the tank, to let some of the extra heat out. I would keep a eye out for those clearance tables, for a good double bulb T-5 fixture though, they are much better, and cooler

OP
OP
P

pnoydlyte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone for the warm welcome..
but change of plans i just recently got a deal on a 20gallon long
I will now be converting the 10 into a diy sump and will dump the old powerhead and will now be using a hydor koralia #1 instead

and as far as lighting would these 30" t5s be ok?
Oceanic Systems | Products | Aqualight T5 Series - Double Linear Strip

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on those lights but I do know one thing for sure. Get the best lights you can afford for your tank right now so you don't have to switch them down the road. As you go along in the hobby, you will fall in love with other corals that are light loving. I went from power compacts to MH, then to MH + t5 + led. I tried to save some money on lighting in the beginning and ended up spending more down the line. 20 gallon with a 10 gal sump sounds great for a nano. Good luck with your tank and take it slow. You are going to love this site. Out of all the boards I'm a member of, this is by far my favorite. This site is like a community of friends, looking out for one another. Rev definitely created a great place.

OP
OP
P

pnoydlyte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on those lights but I do know one thing for sure. Get the best lights you can afford for your tank right now so you don't have to switch them down the road. As you go along in the hobby, you will fall in love with other corals that are light loving. I went from power compacts to MH, then to MH + t5 + led. I tried to save some money on lighting in the beginning and ended up spending more down the line. 20 gallon with a 10 gal sump sounds great for a nano. Good luck with your tank and take it slow. You are going to love this site. Out of all the boards I'm a member of, this is by far my favorite. This site is like a community of friends, looking out for one another. Rev definitely created a great place.

being in Hawaii i know i wont get into that much corals from my understanding most corals are illegal to have
as to what kinds i have no idea yet still doing my research
and for the site i can already tell by the amount of friendly responses to my thread that there are a lot of friendly people here unlike some other forums ive tried

Railrider1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friendly? Who here is friendly?:tongue: Just kidding. Rev is called Rev for a reason. I don't think he puts up unfriendly people here. He screens 'em at the door. He put us all in a room and gave us a good talkin to.

I don't know of any corals that are illegal to have, unless you go and collect them your self from protected waters or with out the proper permits. If you see a coral that you want, but it's illigal to have, I'm fairly sure that there is another coral that is close to it that you could have. Just keep doing your research. If you are unsure about something, just ask and I'm sure that you will get some good answers.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site.

Edit: Check out Aloha Corals, they are in your neck of the woods. http://alohacorals.com/prestashop//

Last edited:

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could always start out FOWLR then convert to corals more and more.
be careful though I started out like that and corals are addictive.
I am now upgrading to a 120 just so I can have bigger better fish and more room for the corals to grow LOL

its like legal crack for people with to much time on their hands.
(heck I dont have enough time and still love it)
Now I am off to look up a new algae eating fish
must have more fish,
must have more corals,
LOL

OP
OP
P

pnoydlyte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could always start out FOWLR then convert to corals more and more.
be careful though I started out like that and corals are addictive.
I am now upgrading to a 120 just so I can have bigger better fish and more room for the corals to grow LOL

its like legal crack for people with to much time on their hands.
(heck I dont have enough time and still love it)
Now I am off to look up a new algae eating fish
must have more fish,
must have more corals,
LOL

actually was actually thinking about going the FOWLR route for about 2 months then if everything is good and stable then go out and get some zoas

been trying to see what I could legally get here but so far nothing really

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did u try the alohacorals? he would be ableto get you evreything that is legal becuase im sure he couldnt sell it if it wasnt :wink:

but welcome to the site and remember there is never to slow in this hobby exspecially at the begginning and that research is your friend!!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back