Newbies Fluval evo 13.5

Fiona22222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I don't really know if this is meant to be a post or thread because I'm a DMs and Snapchat kinda girl normally lol but I am hoping to get a Fluval Evo 13.5 for Christmas to treat myself. I have been a fresh water girly since I was 10 but I have ALWAYS wanted my own nemo fish and Jacques. I am thinking live rock, sand, and I am going to start with a FOWLR so I don't completely die of confuddilation.

Is a pair of Clownfish and one cleaner shrimp along with a couple of lil snails be OK stocking? FW sites always agree on stocking but there has been so many different opinions about SW that I am totally befuddled. Also I know that calcium can be depleted by coral but if I don't use any is that a parameter I need to worry about? Also, what about Phostphates? I know they need to be monitored but is it as important with a FOWLR?

Sorry about how long this was I just really want to get it right. I'm autistic and fish tanks have always been so helpful when I am overstimulated but my fancy goldfish recently died and it gave me the push to go over to the salty side. If you're still here thanks and I would very much appreciate any advice!!!

Slay! I'm so excited!!

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the beginning of the end of your money! Lol it's not that bad. Yeah! Clowns and snails and hermits no problem in that tank. Peppermint shrimp would probably be what you'd like to get and of course would be fine in there. You could also add a cleaner goby! They'll eat parasites off of the fish like ich.

The synthetic salt mix we use all carries calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity so you'll want to get familiar with them (corals or not) as too high or too low can effect fish and inverts. Phosphates and nitrates are good tests to have as you want a nice looking tank. The magic seems to happen 100:1 nitrates to Phosphates. So 10nitrates and 0.1 phosphates would be a good start.

The biggest things you'll want to know in the salt world is what your parameters are. Maintaining similar salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, ph, nitrates, and phosphates is what's going to keep your tank looking good and your tank inhabitants happy.

Plus! If you want you can always throw a coral or 2 in there and water changes will replenish most of those parameters back to good before they even go down. But that's the joy! It's your tank, do what makes you happy! But if you get a coral or 2... you'll end up with 30. Then a bigger tank. Then 130. Then a bigger tank. Then 260. Then another big tank. It's a vicious cycle!

So again, welcome! And hope I've helped a little

OP
OP
Fiona22222

Fiona22222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the beginning of the end of your money! Lol it's not that bad. Yeah! Clowns and snails and hermits no problem in that tank. Peppermint shrimp would probably be what you'd like to get and of course would be fine in there. You could also add a cleaner goby! They'll eat parasites off of the fish like ich.

The synthetic salt mix we use all carries calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity so you'll want to get familiar with them (corals or not) as too high or too low can effect fish and inverts. Phosphates and nitrates are good tests to have as you want a nice looking tank. The magic seems to happen 100:1 nitrates to Phosphates. So 10nitrates and 0.1 phosphates would be a good start.

The biggest things you'll want to know in the salt world is what your parameters are. Maintaining similar salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, ph, nitrates, and phosphates is what's going to keep your tank looking good and your tank inhabitants happy.

Plus! If you want you can always throw a coral or 2 in there and water changes will replenish most of those parameters back to good before they even go down. But that's the joy! It's your tank, do what makes you happy! But if you get a coral or 2... you'll end up with 30. Then a bigger tank. Then 130. Then a bigger tank. Then 260. Then another big tank. It's a vicious cycle!

So again, welcome! And hope I've helped a little
You have helped LOADS thanks so much for taking the time to give such a great message it's so helpful and makes burning all my money for fish much more justifiable lol!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for stocking, stick with just the clown pair and cleaner shrimp. The clowns eventually won’t tolerate anyone else in their space (including your hand).
My recommendation is to buy the fish pre-quarantined or straight from a breeder (biota, Ora, etc.), or quarantine them yourself. Disease is bad in marine fish, and especially given how much they cost, the last thing you want is for them all to die of a preventable cause and have to start over (after a 60+ day fishless period).
As for coral, start with the beginner species and move up as time goes on. Regularly testing params will tell what needs to be adjusted and what is okay.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back