Newb's 210g Build

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm here to try and document my "new to me" build. I've been wanting to do a large display tank in the basement and ended up getting a basic setup from a local reefer last weekend. I got tank (Aqueon 210g), stand, canopy and lights from them. Lights are a t5/MH combo and I plan on sticking with them if I can make it through the summer without having to get a chiller.

I've been tossing around ideas for this tank for awhile and I am planning on going the Triton route with the tank. Here's a quick picture of the tank after moving it in. 210.jpg

I've got plenty of work to do and lots of equipment to buy but I'll try to keep the thread updated as I go.

OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I have in my head for filtration.

SumpPlan.JPG

Chaeto only fuge in the sump lit by a H380 with a separate 30g 24x24x12 display fuge above the sump that could double as a frag or acclimation tank. RO Elite 220SSS Skimmer with a varios 6 powering the manifold and varios 8 for the returns. 2 reactors for carbon and gfo and another large reactor for Siporax. I plan to get a GHL KHD and 2.1 dosing pumps to control the supplementing. The sump is currently in the works and while I'm waiting on that I plan on getting the electrical knocked out so the tank can have it's own pair of circuits.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a great start, for your "display fuge" what will it house? frags are a good idea for grow out but to get the 10-20% water volume required for triton will you be using some macro algae in there as well?

OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a great start, for your "display fuge" what will it house? frags are a good idea for grow out but to get the 10-20% water volume required for triton will you be using some macro algae in there as well?
I'm still working on that idea. Originally thought about getting a nice variety of unique macros and do a daylight mangrove/macro tank that I could trim back and sell/trade with locals.

I've got a separate "frag system" but I could also use it to acclimate new frags to the parameters as well as grow out new fish after qt that may not be big enough for the main tank yet.

OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 2 damaged custom sumps later and I'm back at the drawing board :(

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to just keep all the equipment under the cabinet and only plumb a small RO water line through the wall but it seems like the stand is too short to really work. I've got a DIY 40B sump I could use but I only have about 26" of space under the stand and I'm not sure if that's enough. My biggest concern is having to squeeze the equipment in and that end up making any type of maintenance a PITA.

Going to do some thread surfing and try to get some ideas.

If the 40B doesn't work, maybe I got do something like a 20H fuge that flows over into a separate tank to house my skimmer and return or even use the 40B w/ 2 sections (fuge and either ceramic media or frag section) that flows into a separate tank.

OP
OP
newbreefer316

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went ahead and picked up a Triton44 sump while BRS had their 10% off yesterday. Going to just run the sump under the tank to keep it simple and figure the rest out from there.

Still on the fence for lighting, trying to decide between t5/mh or t5/2x ap700... Still leaning t5/mh so I'm looking at installing a pair of A/V cabinet fans in the canopy to push room air across the ballasts.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QFXC4MS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5&psc=1

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice - I found an old post from you about combining reactors with Triton. I wrote what is below but then I decided to look to see if you have any other posts and what is happening. Glad I found this and will follow along ;) Happy to hear you got the sump sorted too ;)

I just found this and see no one has replied ;( I am in a similar boat doing a 150G build and want to somehow combine Kalkwasser with the Triton method. Anyhow if you have worked out how to do it (for you) would love an update ;)

Back