Newer doesn't mean better... for APEX PM2 at least.

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer doesn't mean better... for APEX PM2 at least.
Bought a new one from BRS. It came in today like this:

IMG_8874.JPG

I need one to start my project so I open it up (4 screws without damaging any label) instead of returning it.
The circuit board was not held down in any way by screws or by plastic. It was simply glue down by hot glue and obviously that failed. So, just so you know, it is fixable by glue and it will not void warranty because they can't tell if it was opened unless they say it is not their glue.

What a lousy design. Don't push in your connectors too hard guys!

IMG_8875.JPG

IMG_8876.JPG

IMG_8877.JPG

IMG_8878.JPG

IMG_8879.JPG

doubleohwhatever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just seems like bad product design to me. Typically if you aren't going to use the case posts and/or screws to secure the pcb, you will have some other form of mechanical fastener (pcb secured by plastic clips or slot in case, etc). To just use hot glue to secure a pcb with this many connectors seems lazy.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is kinda lazy engineering but honestly, I don’t see a real issue with the hot glue. They didn’t use nearly enough though.

It probably got put together on a Friday afternoon and they were about to run out of glue or something.

doubleohwhatever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, looking at the photos again... there *is* a tray the pcb should be fitting snugly in but there doesn't appear to be a ridge or anything on the backside to prevent the pcb from being pushed into the case when connecting a cable. My guess is that originally the pcb was designed to be a bit longer so that it touched the back of the case. Newer boards may be just a bit shorter to get more on a panel or something. Either way, hot glue does indeed seem fine here but yeah, they need to use a bit more.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back