Newer tank kalk reactor

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my last tank I used kalk for a long time before I had to start dosing other than adjustments here and there, but I'd mix it straight into my ATO res.
New tank 350gal total volume untill I take the extra rock out of the sump and add chaeto. I want to use a kalk reactor. I bought an ice cap km200. My question is about using my ATO to dose with the reactor.

I know I could use a timer and seperate line from my rodi res, but alternatively, couldn't I just stir the kalk less times per day so it's not always a fully concentrated slurry when the ATO kicks on?

It's hard to say because I've been doing it manually running a line from my rodi, but I'm probably topping off 2-3 gallons a day.

Should I rethink using a reactor with ATO?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
VERY possible here to get multiple correct answers: What brand of ATO do you use? I know Neptunes ATO supposedly uses some Algorithm or whatever, and on a big tank like yours and mine the evap rate can be pretty consistent (depending on ambient humidity, et)
I dunno; maybe let that new tank marinate for a while until your get familiar with evap rates and Alk demand.
Anyway, I was afraid to mix methods until a few folks here on R2R told me it can work, so I’m following this thread and thinking about adding a Tsp/5gal anyway as a routine additive in my ATO then go from there (to 2pt dosing, kalk stirrer, or whatever)...

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my last tank I used kalk for a long time before I had to start dosing other than adjustments here and there, but I'd mix it straight into my ATO res.
New tank 350gal total volume untill I take the extra rock out of the sump and add chaeto. I want to use a kalk reactor. I bought an ice cap km200. My question is about using my ATO to dose with the reactor.

I know I could use a timer and seperate line from my rodi res, but alternatively, couldn't I just stir the kalk less times per day so it's not always a fully concentrated slurry when the ATO kicks on?

It's hard to say because I've been doing it manually running a line from my rodi, but I'm probably topping off 2-3 gallons a day.

Should I rethink using a reactor with ATO?

Controlling the concentration of kalk in the reactor will be very challenging, if possible at all. Even you don't stir it, if water are allowed to sit in it long enough, it will get to saturation. Get a dedicated dosing pump for kalk is the best way to go without question. The reason people do it in ATO is to save the cost of the dosing pump. But for the cost of a 350 gallon system, that's barely a change.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlling the concentration of kalk in the reactor will be very challenging, if possible at all. Even you don't stir it, if water are allowed to sit in it long enough, it will get to saturation. Get a dedicated dosing pump for kalk is the best way to go without question. The reason people do it in ATO is to save the cost of the dosing pump. But for the cost of a 350 gallon system, that's barely a change.

With a decent setup, you have a much better chance of maintaining saturated kalk, but you will need to use a pH probe in the kalk stirrer chamber. I have used one this way for over a year and has worked well. Anytime my pH dropped below 12 it was time to add more kalk.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a stirrer. Just a container with lid with doser or keep using ATO. After initial dissolution you do not need to stir further.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a decent setup, you have a much better chance of maintaining saturated kalk, but you will need to use a pH probe in the kalk stirrer chamber. I have used one this way for over a year and has worked well. Anytime my pH dropped below 12 it was time to add more kalk.

Maintaining saturated kalk is easy. But OP's post I responded to was maintaining a certain concentration of kalk below the saturation point, to counter the variance of ATO. I never tried that and don't think it's feasible.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maintaining saturated kalk is easy. But OP's post I responded to was maintaining a certain concentration of kalk below the saturation point, to counter the variance of ATO. I never tried that and don't think it's feasible.

I ran mine on a doser and let the ATO top off the rest.

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was just trying to avoid another dosing pump and timer. I just hadn't really thought about a kalk stirrer being like jumping straight to 2 tsp per gallon of pre mixed kalk.

Was hoping to get around that. I was thinking if the water in the reactor would fully saturate without stirring there wouldn't be a need for the stirrer.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back