Newest Tropic Marin Pro Reef testing information

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you all might be interested in the most current Tropic Marin information regarding our testing of the Pro Reef salt manufactured in our facility in Turkey. In case you haven't run into it yet, here is a link to the video of the interview I did at the MASNA Atlanta Aquatic Expo with Mark Callahan from The Reefing Report.

Mortgaged Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He says there were no issues whatsoever found but as i am reading from everyone and on their website (Jan 2022 update), they stated they knew there were issues with clay mineral resulting in optical discoloration from the Turkish plant. So which one is it? I would love to try it but I dont know that I can trust what anyone is saying. Too much debate leads buyers astray. Is it safe to use again or no? Anyone using it without any issues?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He says there were no issues whatsoever found but as i am reading from everyone and on their website (Jan 2022 update), they stated they knew there were issues with clay mineral resulting in optical discoloration from the Turkish plant. So which one is it? I would love to try it but I dont know that I can trust what anyone is saying. Too much debate leads buyers astray. Is it safe to use again or no? Anyone using it without any issues?

Hobbyist will be hobbyist.

Tropic Marin has stated multiple times that Turkey production is halted. Tropic Marin has also stated it is isolated to Pro Reef salt manufactured in Turkey. Germany manufactured Pro Reef salt is fine. Tropic Marin has also said if you own a bucket of Pro Reef with a Turkey label you can request a refund. Use their web portal contact. Tropic Marin, Lou, has also provided a desk phone number.

At this point it is up to hobbyist to decide what they choose to do. Stay with Tropic Marin Pro Reef salts, change product within Tropic Marin's offerings, or switch manufactures. I'm not sure what else people are expecting.

Tropic Marin has been pretty open and replying when they have information to give. Some hobbyist do not like the answers. Some do. I still use it and it mixes perfectly fine. Then again the bucket from Turkey also mixed fine. No residue. No smell.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I am using it for years. I am on the side nothing to report and I am not planning to change “yet”.

I do keep tabs on the various discussion (just in case) and it seems there are number of people who don’t use the product (TMP salt) but have very strong opinions….

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The exact quote is "we have found nothing that would influence coral health negatively yet".

That leads me to believe they do not think clay impacts coral health. He didn't acknowledge(in this video) the dirtied mixing containers or brown residue that has been the biggest complaint.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The exact quote is "we have found nothing that would influence coral health negatively yet".

That leads me to believe they do not think clay impacts coral health. He didn't acknowledge(in this video) the dirtied mixing containers or brown residue that has been the biggest complaint.
I believe the mixing observation was acknowledged in January 28th, see screen shot from the initial announcement:
The same announcement is on R2R, I just don’t have time to find it.

Attachments

• A8A77E1A-C531-4F89-A8E0-AED95E5CE0C0.jpeg
    A8A77E1A-C531-4F89-A8E0-AED95E5CE0C0.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 55

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people saying in local arizona social media forums that the german blend killed all their fish within a half hour of a water change. They show pictures of a cloudy tank with the fish dead.

I have such a hard time believing any marine salt could kill a tank. Thinking maybe salinity or temperature probes were off.

not sure what to believe now. Tossing around the idea of going to red sea blue bucket. But my icp tests seem spot on with all the minerals and elements. Tank is doing great. Probably should stop reading posts like this that make me second guess myself.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people saying in local arizona social media forums that the german blend killed all their fish within a half hour of a water change. They show pictures of a cloudy tank with the fish dead.

I have such a hard time believing any marine salt could kill a tank. Thinking maybe salinity or temperature probes were off.

not sure what to believe now. Tossing around the idea of going to red sea blue bucket. But my icp tests seem spot on with all the minerals and elements. Tank is doing great. Probably should stop reading posts like this that make me second guess myself.

Only you can make that decision.

There are some of us who used a full bucket of Pro Reef salt manufactured at the Turkey facility without issues. No residue. No smell. Not cloudy. Normal behavior. We posted the buckets bar code for proof.

You need to do what is comfortable for you.

Back