Newish 125g and did my firefish lay eggs?!

Choosey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have a newish 125g setup. One of my pair has been hiding a lot and first sign of the weird activity was laying up against the corner return divider. Yesterday was MIA. Today was out for the first time when I got home from work. I look around and boom, what appears to be orange roe is where they usually are. Any ideas?
70C7C05A-CDD8-48DD-9BC9-81911A16FE4E.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Choosey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I have a newish 125g setup. One of my pair has been hiding a lot and first sign of the weird activity was laying up against the corner return divider. Yesterday was MIA. Today was out for the first time when I got home from work. I look around and boom, what appears to be orange roe is where they usually are. Any ideas?
70C7C05A-CDD8-48DD-9BC9-81911A16FE4E.jpeg
0E51AAA6-8F4E-4B7E-B55E-4A440C119B54.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Choosey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks more like a new tank Cyanobacteria bloom.
The color is extremely hard to capture. It’s almost identical to if you open up a container of caviar. Neon/flame orange. And is only where the firefish have resided? Maybe it is new cyano? Just thought the coincidence was way to high

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks like cyano as well.

Regarding the firefish, they do not tolerate conspecifics unless they are a true mated pair which is extremley hard to acquire. When kept together, one will become intimidated, hide and stop eating. Eventually it wastes away to nothing and then disappears. No aggression is usually seen. I suspect this is what is happening to yours.

OP
OP
C

Choosey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks like cyano as well.

Regarding the firefish, they do not tolerate conspecifics unless they are a true mated pair which is extremley hard to acquire. When kept together, one will become intimidated, hide and stop eating. Eventually it wastes away to nothing and then disappears. No aggression is usually seen. I suspect this is what is happening to yours.
What’s crazy is after it appeared they both were out and eating well and no more hiding has occurred.
I can definitely up the flow but figured I actually had too much flow going on. 125g tank with 55g sump. 1400gph pump, with 2 800gph powerheads. I shifted them higher in the tank because of how much was blowing around.
I’ll reconfigure

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To put flow in perspective I have a 180 with a 3000 gph gyre, 2 Tunze 6105s 3500gph each and 2 Tunze 6095s at 2500 each. That’s 15,000 gph just in tank. Excluding dual EHEIM 1262 return pumps. You need more flow. Your tank looks exceptionally new, the sand will stop blowing around as it matures. It’s the new tank uglies you have going on. Happens to literally everyone and will get worse before it gets better.

OP
OP
C

Choosey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To put flow in perspective I have a 180 with a 3000 gph gyre, 2 Tunze 6105s 3500gph each and 2 Tunze 6095s at 2500 each. That’s 15,000 gph just in tank. Excluding dual EHEIM 1262 return pumps. You need more flow. Your tank looks exceptionally new, the sand will stop blowing around as it matures. It’s the new tank uglies you have going on. Happens to literally everyone and will get worse before it gets better.
I appreciate the info and that no one “crucifies” others on here. I’ve only had nano reef tanks and none this large so first time with this and the flow.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back