fish aggression help

zeszes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I need some advice,

So I'll be the first to admit, I know VERY little about saltwater fish, mainly because most of them just get way bigger than most of the tanks I keep, my biggest I've had was 75 softie tank, and usually I keep more in the 5-30g range, and sometimes pico's. I know my inverts and I love my coral, but normally I'm the kind of person to get all my inverts coral and nems set up, and then let it run for 6 months before I add my first fish just for the sake of movement and I might add one or two here and there as time goes on.
This pattern repeated when I moved, I got my tanks set up, a 25g and a pico 5g, I let them cycle for a few months, got my coral going, lots of nps and lps, with deep caves and dendronepthea, but I digress, the point is, a few months ago I added my first fish to the 25 and one to the 5, a tiny yellow watchman in the 5 with a few sexy shrimp from the old setup, and a blue mandarn in the 25 with some older pom pom crabs, this is the first time I've done mandarins but I've always loved the way they look, (plus I cultivate phyto and pods in my office for my nps so he has a constant supply of food anyways) unfortunately mine is a little shy, I only see him at about 6pm which is when I normally does my AB+ and feed, other than that, he's hiding in or behind the scape entirely. (don't actually know the gender)
So I wanted more fish, I opted for firefish because they're easy and small, and they died within a week. couldn't tell if there were injuries because the hermits were picking the bodies apart so we chocked it up to disease, (chemistry was spot on still) I gave the tank some time before trying again and we did
Then I tired a cleaner wrasse and some neon gobys, same thing, all dead within 3 days, hermits picking them apart, no signs of disease, (reef chemistry was always fine, very low nitrates and 0 ammonia) I waited a little longer before attempt 3, I was recomended 4 engineer gobies because they're good for movement. 1 was gone a few days in, I watched one of my bta's actually eat it's body, no idea how it got there, then a second one was just missing, no signs around the tank. then I saw it, my blue mandarin was hunting down one of the goby's like his life depended on it before he actually managed to get him and I broke it up and seperated them.

This is just a long winded way of really saying, that I have a very health, extremely agressive blue mandarin (not sure how to tell the gender) who eats well on pods and mysis and kills other fish. and I'd like to be able to put some more fish in there so it's not just him hiding and there's some actual movement of fish going on. the surviving 2 engineers are pretty young and temporarly living with the yellow watchman, but it's just a stopgap, I don't want that many fish in my pico and I think I may return them until I get the mandarin situation figured out, any advice on how to calm this thing down, or how to introduce more fish to the tank without incurring fatalities would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish choices are questionable and might need a little more research before adding fish to the tanks. Cleaner wrasse is an aggressive fish that belongs in a 50+ gallon tank. Engineer gobies can grow up to 14" and belong and in a 50+ gallon tank and only one per species of most fish.

you are not QT'ing fish so disease is possible.

How are you oxygenating the water? I wonder if you have enough rocks and flow (biofiltration) and enough surface agitation to oxygenate the water.

Acclimation process also has a huge role in new fish survival rate.

There are a few things to consider.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I need some advice,

So I'll be the first to admit, I know VERY little about saltwater fish, mainly because most of them just get way bigger than most of the tanks I keep, my biggest I've had was 75 softie tank, and usually I keep more in the 5-30g range, and sometimes pico's. I know my inverts and I love my coral, but normally I'm the kind of person to get all my inverts coral and nems set up, and then let it run for 6 months before I add my first fish just for the sake of movement and I might add one or two here and there as time goes on.
This pattern repeated when I moved, I got my tanks set up, a 25g and a pico 5g, I let them cycle for a few months, got my coral going, lots of nps and lps, with deep caves and dendronepthea, but I digress, the point is, a few months ago I added my first fish to the 25 and one to the 5, a tiny yellow watchman in the 5 with a few sexy shrimp from the old setup, and a blue mandarn in the 25 with some older pom pom crabs, this is the first time I've done mandarins but I've always loved the way they look, (plus I cultivate phyto and pods in my office for my nps so he has a constant supply of food anyways) unfortunately mine is a little shy, I only see him at about 6pm which is when I normally does my AB+ and feed, other than that, he's hiding in or behind the scape entirely. (don't actually know the gender)
So I wanted more fish, I opted for firefish because they're easy and small, and they died within a week. couldn't tell if there were injuries because the hermits were picking the bodies apart so we chocked it up to disease, (chemistry was spot on still) I gave the tank some time before trying again and we did
Then I tired a cleaner wrasse and some neon gobys, same thing, all dead within 3 days, hermits picking them apart, no signs of disease, (reef chemistry was always fine, very low nitrates and 0 ammonia) I waited a little longer before attempt 3, I was recomended 4 engineer gobies because they're good for movement. 1 was gone a few days in, I watched one of my bta's actually eat it's body, no idea how it got there, then a second one was just missing, no signs around the tank. then I saw it, my blue mandarin was hunting down one of the goby's like his life depended on it before he actually managed to get him and I broke it up and seperated them.

This is just a long winded way of really saying, that I have a very health, extremely agressive blue mandarin (not sure how to tell the gender) who eats well on pods and mysis and kills other fish. and I'd like to be able to put some more fish in there so it's not just him hiding and there's some actual movement of fish going on. the surviving 2 engineers are pretty young and temporarly living with the yellow watchman, but it's just a stopgap, I don't want that many fish in my pico and I think I may return them until I get the mandarin situation figured out, any advice on how to calm this thing down, or how to introduce more fish to the tank without incurring fatalities would be greatly appreciated.
Ooo engineer gobies get wayyy too big for that and fast. This is Squirt. She was a centimeter when I got her a year ago. You should re home them, they are very large fish

And blue mandarin as in one of the mandarin dragonets? If so they eat pods, dont usually go after other fish from what Ive seen except other males.

Attachments

• 5C300793-2236-4E8E-8FC5-ABCB0C198CFB.jpeg
    5C300793-2236-4E8E-8FC5-ABCB0C198CFB.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 9
  • AF693DFA-D2E3-43D8-A9F0-B40617CAF303.jpeg
    AF693DFA-D2E3-43D8-A9F0-B40617CAF303.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 155B4027-CC87-452F-AB13-2135720C7F01.jpeg
    155B4027-CC87-452F-AB13-2135720C7F01.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 9

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I would not listen to whoever recommended those engineers to you… if thats a LFS never go back! Horrible advice and they set you hp for failure with that suggestion in my opinion

OP
OP
zeszes

zeszes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish choices are questionable and might need a little more research before adding fish to the tanks.
Like I said, I know very little about fish, I'm good with my inverts, and good with my coral, fish are kinda my last concern until my wife starts asking why there are no fish in there, I don't normally really ever get more than one that I am at least semi familiar with.
you are not QT'ing fish so disease is possible.

How are you oxygenating the water? I wonder if you have enough rocks and flow (biofiltration) and enough surface agitation to oxygenate the water.

Acclimation process also has a huge role in new fish survival rate.
I am not QT'ing, I'm aware of the risks associated, but honestly, I'd rather loose 2 fish due to lack of qt and disease and be out 45 bucks than have to set up a several hundred dollar tank, and again, I've now watched him in the act, very aggressive, and even then if it was disease, id imagine him nibbling on corpses should definitely spread somthing to him, but he's been through 3 runs of these guys and no health issues.

Theres plenty of oxygenation, I have a full bar Gyre for a few SPS up top with lots of surface agitation plus a protein skimmer with a CO2 scrubber, (keeps my ph nice and high) I'd guess I have somewhere like 30-40 lbs of rock as well as a few of the brightwell bio export balls in the back.

I don't think it's acclimation, I mean, they go straight from the store to temp acclimation, then into a bucket with a heater for drip acclimation until the parameters are close after like 2 hours.

Plus now that they've been temporarly moved to my 5g (same paremeters because I only add fish after water changes) they're thriving.
Ooo engineer gobies get wayyy too big for that and fast. This is Squirt.

And blue mandarin as in one of the mandarin dragonets? If so they eat pods, dont usually go after other fish from what Ive seen except other males.
I was unaware of that, the lfs said they only get like 1 to 2 inches, (hi squirt)
yeah the dragonette, I was unaware they could be agressive, unless I just got a weird one, which kinda tracks with my luck because I had a blood orange clown at one point who killed everything, she'd flip snails to try to kill turbos from below.

Also I would not listen to whoever recommended those engineers to you… if thats a LFS never go back! Horrible advice and they set you hp for failure with that suggestion in my opinion
I now know that based on just how big squirt is lol. My old lfs was my one stop shop where if I needed something I went there and asked a question and I'd get 30 great answers. I've been here for a little while after my move and can honestly say that none of the stores here are remotely as good as my old lfs was. It's more like, there was one, super great, super knowledgeable, super well stocked lfs there. but just one.

here, there's like 50 mediocre lfs's and some of them have kinda unique things that I really like, but none are remotely as good or as well rounded

This is great and all to know I need to get those engineers rehomed somewhere that isn't my tanks but it still doesn't really help with the fact that I have a miniture adorable hanibal lecter living in my tank who needs to take a chill pill

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, I know very little about fish, I'm good with my inverts, and good with my coral, fish are kinda my last concern until my wife starts asking why there are no fish in there, I don't normally really ever get more than one that I am at least semi familiar with.

I am not QT'ing, I'm aware of the risks associated, but honestly, I'd rather loose 2 fish due to lack of qt and disease and be out 45 bucks than have to set up a several hundred dollar tank, and again, I've now watched him in the act, very aggressive, and even then if it was disease, id imagine him nibbling on corpses should definitely spread somthing to him, but he's been through 3 runs of these guys and no health issues.

Theres plenty of oxygenation, I have a full bar Gyre for a few SPS up top with lots of surface agitation plus a protein skimmer with a CO2 scrubber, (keeps my ph nice and high) I'd guess I have somewhere like 30-40 lbs of rock as well as a few of the brightwell bio export balls in the back.

I don't think it's acclimation, I mean, they go straight from the store to temp acclimation, then into a bucket with a heater for drip acclimation until the parameters are close after like 2 hours.

Plus now that they've been temporarly moved to my 5g (same paremeters because I only add fish after water changes) they're thriving.

I was unaware of that, the lfs said they only get like 1 to 2 inches, (hi squirt)
yeah the dragonette, I was unaware they could be agressive, unless I just got a weird one, which kinda tracks with my luck because I had a blood orange clown at one point who killed everything, she'd flip snails to try to kill turbos from below.

I now know that based on just how big squirt is lol. My old lfs was my one stop shop where if I needed something I went there and asked a question and I'd get 30 great answers. I've been here for a little while after my move and can honestly say that none of the stores here are remotely as good as my old lfs was. It's more like, there was one, super great, super knowledgeable, super well stocked lfs there. but just one.

here, there's like 50 mediocre lfs's and some of them have kinda unique things that I really like, but none are remotely as good or as well rounded

This is great and all to know I need to get those engineers rehomed somewhere that isn't my tanks but it still doesn't really help with the fact that I have a miniture adorable hanibal lecter living in my tank who needs to take a chill pill
Yeah that LFS sounds bad. I would ask here about fish from now on! They really set you up for failure. Do you have a picture of your dragonet by chance? Just to make sure its what Im thinking it is!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back