Newish tank - Brown Algae, some stringing, and bubbles?

Schlagel Bagel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 3 month old tank and havent had the lights on too much until about the last 2 weeks, and then just got some corals locally for cheap.
Well upon running the lights more, over the last week, everyday it seems like the brown algae is getting worse and worse.

I know that diatoms are apart of the cycle but figured that would have happened by now. I know I kept the lights off until now so understand if something starts to show up. But I worried that this is possibly Dinos. Could I get a hand identifing if this is something I should try and stop right away or let it pass.

I have an emerald crab but the few snails seems to be more interested in eating this stuff. So maybe I get a few more of them? My RODI filters are not super old but I did get the setup used so maybe I need to change those out?

Thanks! Photos attached.
Displaying IMG_3374.jpg
Displaying IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg IMG_3374.jpg

OP
OP
Schlagel Bagel

Schlagel Bagel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The long strings of growth with bubble at the end looks like dinos to me.
ugh thats what my impressions of some research says to me too. Tank has been going really well but I guess I did something wrong somewhere.

Thanks

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh thats what my impressions of some research says to me too. Tank has been going really well but I guess I did something wrong somewhere.

Thanks
Posting your #s will help get you quality responses. I've seen cyano, diatom, and dino all hold bubbles. It's not that simple.

OP
OP
Schlagel Bagel

Schlagel Bagel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting your #s will help get you quality responses. I've seen cyano, diatom, and dino all hold bubbles. It's not that simple.
Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5ppm

Ph - 8.2

*using Red Sea kit so not necessarily perfect numbers

OP
OP
Schlagel Bagel

Schlagel Bagel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 5 stage brs rodi as I was using a used aquatic life rodi kit. I know its not going to just magically solve my issue but I know its something I should have done from the get go. Now time to work towards fighting it back.

Ill also probably pick up a few more snails and keep the lights off or on a short duration. Try and keep it at bay before chemicals and such.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back