Newly aggressive brown powder tang....

  • Thread starter Thread starter clhardy5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

clhardy5

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2020
Messages
408
Reaction score
238
Location
Aurora, CO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a full size coral beauty yesterday - beautiful fish! I put him in the tank - which none of the fish have ever been aggressive - and my powder brown immediately started picking on the coral beauty. I luckily caught the coral beauty and currently have her in an acclimation box (should have done that from the beginning)....and am allowing the fish to get used to each other. No one is paying any attention or showing aggression to the coral beauty while he's in the box.

How long should I leave her in there? Any success stories?

Tank is a RR525 (108 gallons in main tank) and has lots of hiding spaces) ...edited

TIA
 
3-5 days in the acclimation box, then let it out and monitor aggression. You could add more fish to spread out the aggession giving the Coral Beauty a little more space. If the Powder brown is relentless for up to 2 weeks unfortunately the Coral Beauty may need a new home for the time being.
 
I bought a full size coral beauty yesterday - beautiful fish! I put him in the tank - which none of the fish have ever been aggressive - and my powder brown immediately started picking on the coral beauty. I luckily caught the coral beauty and currently have her in an acclimation box (should have done that from the beginning)....and am allowing the fish to get used to each other. No one is paying any attention or showing aggression to the coral beauty while he's in the box.

How long should I leave her in there? Any success stories?

Tank is a RR525 (108 gallons in main tank) and has lots of hiding spaces) ...edited

TIA
At least 5-7 days in box or sump. They are knowingly aggressive and a reason I have 26 tangs and Powder brown is Not one of them.
 
Update! Everyone is getting along nicely. I left the coral beauty in the acclimation box for 3 days....and then fed the fish and let him out. He got chased once or twice by the powder brown, but then the tang lost interest. Everyone is swimming nicely together now.

I'm so glad....I didn't want to rehome anyone!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new