Newly hatched BBS as staple food?

I Eat Ice Cubes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm considering using newly hatched BBS as a staple food for my new tank ( I'm planning to get banggai cardinalfish, clownfish, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby). But I'm having trouble finding if these fish accept BBS or just ignore them (most of the results just being that their fry/larvae eat BBS).

Can anyone tell me if these fishes eat live BBS or not? If they wont eat BBS is frozen mysis shrimp a good alternative? Thanks :)

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as a staple, no but maybe as a treat but newly hatched bbs isn’t a complete food; way better as 3-21 day old gut loaded “living capsules”….
…people do raise dwarf seahorses on them however

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should do a bit more reading on that. BBS is not a 'staple', its more like a snack, kind of like popcorn for us. I dont think its a good idea to have a 'staple', no one wants to eat the same thing every day, variety is the best.

OP
OP
I Eat Ice Cubes

I Eat Ice Cubes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should do a bit more reading on that. BBS is not a 'staple', its more like a snack, kind of like popcorn for us. I dont think its a good idea to have a 'staple', no one wants to eat the same thing every day, variety is the best.
Ah, I see. Then what combination of frozen food should I feed them? Mysis and gut loaded brine shrimp?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have different flavors of pellets, veggie flakes, frozen brine, frozen mysis, reef frenzy, roe, frozen cyclops, live copepods, I also have frozen worms but my fishes dont like it. Thats all I have for now, but whenever I see something I dont have I buy it. I feed a light afternoon snack (roe or veggie flakes or BBS or pellets), and then a meaty dinner. Thats just me and my way. Good luck!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I'm considering using newly hatched BBS as a staple food for my new tank ( I'm planning to get banggai cardinalfish, clownfish, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby). But I'm having trouble finding if these fish accept BBS or just ignore them (most of the results just being that their fry/larvae eat BBS).

Can anyone tell me if these fishes eat live BBS or not? If they wont eat BBS is frozen mysis shrimp a good alternative? Thanks :)
They should eat it now problem, but like other have mentioned- I would mix up the diet a bit :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back