Nex-3 Macro lens help

Magical Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 4, 2011
Messages
303
Reaction score
26
Location
Lancaster, NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nex-3 and I want to start taking some macro shots. I know nothing about it other than that I need a macro lens. I posted a couple of times in photography forums but they don't understand the lighting intensity or the terms I use when talking about reef tanks. Is the Sony 30mm f/3.5 Macro Lens good enough? I read that you have to get the extremely close to the object with this lens. Is this true? I'd like to shoot within a foot or so of the object and have the ability to zoom in and catch a macro shot. Since I'm brand new at this I'd much rather keep my costs down in case I dont care for it. If there are other brands that you suggest please let me know. If there are any attachments that I need please let me know as well. I just want to make sure that I buy exactly what I need the first time. I really appreciate your help!!



Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
 
Yes, a 60mm macro can get the job done but to take macro shots further than 8"s or so will require a ~100MM lens.
 
Thanks Rob. I was looking at the Tamron 90mm macro lens. Any idea if that will mount onto my camera or will I need an adapter

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.4%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new