Next generation NEPTUNE APEX

Ahmed Ghamdi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I use all of Neptune amazing products since years ago, and I really like their products
I would like today to talk about the possible future products and Neptune next generation aquarium controllers
This article will be more understandable to those who are using all of Neptune products like FMM, COR, DOS, WAV, Trident, Feeder.
I've listed couple of stuff that could be beneficial for us as aquarists in order to make the Aquarium monitoring more fun, easy, and Advanced.

Here are some points that we as aquarist love to see in the coming future, and please feel free to write what ever cross your mind in terms of developing their products

1- Full Apple integration, Develop APEX apps for Apple TV, Apple Watch, and MAC OS. and Apple HomeKit integration to make APEX reachable from anywhere and any platform, it would be great if I can make the APEX home page as a screensaver on the Apple TV, or an extra desktop tap on your Mac for APEX Dashboard. and it would really nice if your can control your aquarium with SIRI, for example Hey Siri, its feeding time!, means that Siri will stop wave makers and increase light to feed your aquarium

2- RO/DI Integration, I think lots aquarists use RO/DI filtration systems or at least RO only, and we all know that we cannot be %100 determine the life of each filter, some filters change colors and some filters you just change them because the TDS got higher, but that means you have to take daily TDS readings just to make sure that nothing will harm you tank, now imagine if these TDS readings after each filter are connected to APEX in addition to the 1/4" flow meter at the system output, that means APEX can calculate the remaining life of each filter and give you notifications on your smart phone to change a specific filter.

3- USB Type-C, by replacing the current Aquabus USB Type A, and Link1 with USB Type C for Power and data communication, this will element the extra power adapters for FMM and Link1 modules and make the whole APEX system chain connected with only the energy bar to be connected to the AC outlet, so it’s like single source of electricity.

4- upgrade the Flow meter sensors from wired mechanical sensor to fully wireless with ultrasonic reading for more accurate reading and less wires, the new flow meters can be battery powered with self charging from the water flow.

5- upgrade the energy bar to make it provide USB power (Type-A and C), I use Camera and Ipad around the energy bar, so it would be helpful if the EB ready to provide USB power like type A and Type C, this will element the connected usb power adapters in the outlets.

6- upgrade the breakout I/O box to make it no-tools needed for bare wires connection, the current I/O box need screwdriver, so it would be better to eliminate the tools need.

7- upgrade the feeder to (Solar Feeder) to make it fully wireless by integrating small solar panel that charges from the aquarium LED light, and wireless communication to the APEX, so the feeder can be totally battery/solar powered with no wires.

8- last but not least, I really would love to see (Salt Powder dispenser), when it comes to mixing salt I'm sure we all agree its the most frustrating thing we do every two weeks (some of us) and there is a time we you are in a hurry so you just throw that salt really quick then you end up with a cloudy water and dirty walls, but if you have that device where you just put salt in it and the device will dispense salt gradually in measured quantities so you just tell APEX that your using XX salt brand and the mixing tank size and the smart dispenser will automatically calculate the needed amount of salt to be disposed in your mix tank.

lets hear from you, what ideas do you have in your mind regarding Aquarium technologies and controllers to make this hoppy more fun

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi,
I use all of Neptune amazing products since years ago, and I really like their products
I would like today to talk about the possible future products and Neptune next generation aquarium controllers
This article will be more understandable to those who are using all of Neptune products like FMM, COR, DOS, WAV, Trident, Feeder.
I've listed couple of stuff that could be beneficial for us as aquarists in order to make the Aquarium monitoring more fun, easy, and Advanced.

Here are some points that we as aquarist love to see in the coming future, and please feel free to write what ever cross your mind in terms of developing their products

1- Full Apple integration, Develop APEX apps for Apple TV, Apple Watch, and MAC OS. and Apple HomeKit integration to make APEX reachable from anywhere and any platform, it would be great if I can make the APEX home page as a screensaver on the Apple TV, or an extra desktop tap on your Mac for APEX Dashboard. and it would really nice if your can control your aquarium with SIRI, for example Hey Siri, its feeding time!, means that Siri will stop wave makers and increase light to feed your aquarium

2- RO/DI Integration, I think lots aquarists use RO/DI filtration systems or at least RO only, and we all know that we cannot be %100 determine the life of each filter, some filters change colors and some filters you just change them because the TDS got higher, but that means you have to take daily TDS readings just to make sure that nothing will harm you tank, now imagine if these TDS readings after each filter are connected to APEX in addition to the 1/4" flow meter at the system output, that means APEX can calculate the remaining life of each filter and give you notifications on your smart phone to change a specific filter.

3- USB Type-C, by replacing the current Aquabus USB Type A, and Link1 with USB Type C for Power and data communication, this will element the extra power adapters for FMM and Link1 modules and make the whole APEX system chain connected with only the energy bar to be connected to the AC outlet, so it’s like single source of electricity.

4- upgrade the Flow meter sensors from wired mechanical sensor to fully wireless with ultrasonic reading for more accurate reading and less wires, the new flow meters can be battery powered with self charging from the water flow.

5- upgrade the energy bar to make it provide USB power (Type-A and C), I use Camera and Ipad around the energy bar, so it would be helpful if the EB ready to provide USB power like type A and Type C, this will element the connected usb power adapters in the outlets.

6- upgrade the breakout I/O box to make it no-tools needed for bare wires connection, the current I/O box need screwdriver, so it would be better to eliminate the tools need.

7- upgrade the feeder to (Solar Feeder) to make it fully wireless by integrating small solar panel that charges from the aquarium LED light, and wireless communication to the APEX, so the feeder can be totally battery/solar powered with no wires.

8- last but not least, I really would love to see (Salt Powder dispenser), when it comes to mixing salt I'm sure we all agree its the most frustrating thing we do every two weeks (some of us) and there is a time we you are in a hurry so you just throw that salt really quick then you end up with a cloudy water and dirty walls, but if you have that device where you just put salt in it and the device will dispense salt gradually in measured quantities so you just tell APEX that your using XX salt brand and the mixing tank size and the smart dispenser will automatically calculate the needed amount of salt to be disposed in your mix tank.

lets hear from you, what ideas do you have in your mind regarding Aquarium technologies and controllers to make this hoppy more fun
While I like your suggestions it seems like 1.) it focuses a lot on just getting technology away from 2016 and to 2020. 2.)A lot of the wireless requests make it seem like you are focusing on really large tanks, not your 40-75 gallon ones. 3.) I'd like to fix some current things before making a ton of new things, like flow sensors which you mentioned.

Wouldn't them making extensions for all their cables solve the wireless requests?

I'd like to see them make a nitrate/phosphate/iodine tester
I'd like them to make a salt probe that is actually useful beyond telling me that my ATO ran for 3 hours straight.
I agree the flow sensors could be better and far more accurate
I'd also like to see some Fusion interface improvements and more customization options.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting but scratch Apple integration and what do mean by ultrasonic flow technology?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How 'bout supporting an actual scripting language, instead of this step boolean logic we've been dealing with.

Javascript, with a built in set of objects would seem an obvious choice.

#Kessel on VarOut1
if(TIME>11:00 and TIME<11:10) {
RAMP(VarOut1,10,100,10);
} elseif (TIME>11:10 and TIME<17:00) {
SET(VarOut1, 100);
} elseif(TIME<17:00 and TIME<17:10) {
RAMP(VarOut1,100,10,10);
} else {
SET(VarOut1,0);
}

Imagine the possibilities.

Easy stuff... keep it easy, but with a REAL language, complex stuff would at least be POSSIBLE.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
How 'bout supporting an actual scripting language, instead of this step boolean logic we've been dealing with.

#Kessel on VarOut1
RAMP(VarOut1,10,100,10);
SET(VarOut1, 100);
RAMP(VarOut1,100,10,10);
} else {
SET(VarOut1,0);
}

Easy stuff... keep it easy, but with a REAL language, complex stuff would at least be POSSIBLE.

That's easy enough, even for non-programmers; but the possibilities...

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's easy enough, even for non-programmers; but the possibilities...
Exactly! If I can do THAT, I can make it do just about ANYTHING. All a matter of being able to code it.

Yes, I know, with a couple virtual outputs, and some ramp profiles, I _can_ do that in the current APEX environment... and, in fact, I have, but see how much easier, and CLEARER that logic is to read?

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downvote on the Apple integration, upvote on the scripting language.

Just the abilities to use math and variables would make life 3x easier.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they have to focus on fixing the problems they have with the current family of products.

make the communication between devices wireless.
make the cable for the wav pumps more secure.

make a better holder for the fish feeder.

make the dos without that noise

Fix the salinity probe !!!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be interesting to see what comes next. A year now since Trident came out, so what’s going to be new in 2020. I do expect a Trudent 2 at some point to add testing capabilities.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app on the iPhone/Android is fine, but no reason to have real apps on windows or Mac, leave that to a browser. A lot of the suggestions for automation of specific things can already be done with the IO Breakout or proper programming.

For me it is really simple... quality quality quality... Did I mention quality. The quality of the EBs is crap, fact. This needs to be improved. My EB832 was 3 months old when a port died, 6 months old when 2 more went. So an 8 port bar lost 3 ports in 6 months. I have had EB8s and now EB832s for over 8 years and ports always die (and they are dry). I know I am not the only one but this is a major problem. I also think they should allow you to migrate from Apex Classic to Apex New in Fusion (it is a software problem not a hardware one). Trident breadth of testing....Trident v2 should test more things (as others have stated)

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all make all the EB's available for 230V and European sockets.

Make a proper dedicated output for a heater. Build for at least a million switch cycles. (That is about 12 cycles per hour for 10 years )

Add scripting support for either JavaScript or LUA

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

#Kessel on VarOut1
RAMP(VarOut1,10,100,10);
SET(VarOut1, 100);
RAMP(VarOut1,100,10,10);
} else {
SET(VarOut1,0);
}

I actually don't understand that one bit(never delved into java). But apex basic programming(very similar to DOS) I get and understand.

I don't see how this will make it easier to program, just because you understand javascript.

IOS integration, probably not going to happen. Ever try to make an app for IOS and all the loopholes you have to jump through?

We already have home automation integration, just not siri as siri is only on the iphone, and not in home automation.

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah not Javascript please. I would prefer python as it will be also easier to learn for non-programmers.
There is nothing wrong with JS or Python or LUA but at least they should switch to a generic scripting language and some scripting languages are easier to implement in a device like the apex than others.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an entry-level system priced at around $150 that offers basic controls and a small lcd display? Most reefers just need a controller to automatically switch pumps, lights and heaters off & on. It just needs a timer function, a temp probe and the option to add a ph probe. I still see used reefkeepers for sale locally in great condition that sell pretty much instantly under $100. Even BRS listed a discontinued reefkeeper lite for $110. It’s like Apex is only selling Ferraris when they have the whole Nissan Versa market shopping for a product that no one offers anymore. The quality for Apex units and accessories isn’t what it should be either, not at that price point. I read way too many threads on Apex units with bad ports and wonky salinity probes. I recently saw a member post a pic of their DOS unit surrounded by studio noise-absorbing foam. Did anyone test the prototype before green lighting it? Or did they just say “meh, it’s orange and works with our product so people will buy it. It’s ok if it’s as loud as a garage door opener.” It’s also a computer in a saltwater environment. Instead it’s built like it should be on a server rack in an air conditioned server room. Lastly, it’s laughable that a product that costs so much requires the user to enter code. I’d like to see those issues fixed before considering any expanded “capabilities”.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I picked JS... I don't care if it's JS, Python, LUA, Basic, Fortran, Ruby, Go, C++... heck use COBOL or RPG, for all I care.

Pick a language. Programming languages are simply a tool in a programmer's toolbox. Even if I have to learn a new tool, fine, no big deal. Give me variables, an if/elseif/else command (case, switch, whatever...)

I've got a pair of Tunze pumps hooked to the 0-10vdc variable output ports on my Apex.

I'd like to have them opposing, with each either ramping up, or down, from 20% to 90%, over a 2 minute interval, slowing to a max of 50% from 1600 to 2100 hours.

Using virtual outputs and ramping profiles, i can do the first part, but can't do the 2nd part... and that's with a thread here, and one on Apex's own forum, asking for help from the experts. I've gotten tons of advice, none of it works.

I'm an industrial software engineer. Been developing software in the automation world for 3 decades now. If I can't make this work... how's Joe Average going to do so?

Give me a real language, and I can do this. Easy. What's more, I can give Joe Average a script that he can copy and paste into a script window, and it'll work.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm integrating Google Home, instead of just Alexa...she is ok, but repeating yourself over and over gets old...:rolleyes:

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't understand that one bit(never delved into java). But apex basic programming(very similar to DOS) I get and understand.

I don't see how this will make it easier to program, just because you understand javascript.

IOS integration, probably not going to happen. Ever try to make an app for IOS and all the loopholes you have to jump through?

We already have home automation integration, just not siri as siri is only on the iphone, and not in home automation.
I don't know any javascript, personally I'd vote for some common shell scripting language like BASH. But regardless of language, ANY real language with normal features like IF and nested loops would open up a world of possibilities.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back