Next generation NEPTUNE APEX

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they need to focus on fixing bugs and strengthening supply lines. All to often things are sold out.

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about making things look less toy like and giving more thought to plastics used? I still can't get over the cheap look/ugly design of the 2016 model, while at it give it super beefy outlets,. I could care less about all the tech people want in them, I just want reliable

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an entry-level system priced at around $150 that offers basic controls and a small lcd display? Most reefers just need a controller to automatically switch pumps, lights and heaters off & on. It just needs a timer function, a temp probe and the option to add a ph probe.

While I agree that a simple, inexpensive controller with a temp probe, maybe a pH probe, would be an excellent product to market... Neptune is unlikely to do so. They've got a dominant market position. Undercutting their own low budget item (Apex EL) with another, cheaper option, would just reduce profits. $500. I wouldn't be waiting on a cheaper option from Neptune.

They've already got their Fusion web based system up and running. Developing another product that doesn't use Fusion wouldn't make any sense, and selling a cheaper Apex that does... probably not going to happen.

I would like to see the EL head unit only for, what, $299? The way the 16 head unit is available? That'd be nice for all those Classic users out there. The old power bars work fine...

I'd love some company to come along and pick up where Reefkeeper left off, but obviously, it'd have to be a better product... Reefkeeper closed for a reason :)

Quality? Yes, I'd like to see quality improve. QC, really... if you get an Apex that works, chances are pretty good it'll continue to work, but they do seem to have a high rate of initial failure. The digital relays they're using in the new power bars should be upgraded... IMHO, to a REPLACEABLE cube relay, but I'm doubting that'll happen.

I'm expecting Neptune to have company soon. Ok, yeah, they have competition... kinda. GHL. Some folks swear by it, and I know it's more popular in Europe, but here? I've yet to put my hands on one in person. Not exactly popular.

I'm guessing that we'll see a true controller from EcoTech in the next couple of years. Used to be, EcoTech and other light makers wanted Apex compatible... These days, they don't care. Why not? Because Neptune, in their arrogance, started selling products that directly compete with the companies they used to integrate with. Pumps, accessories, feeders, dosing... I'm expecting a Neptune branded LED fairly soon. Why would EcoTech continue marketing their competition?

I'd welcome an EcoTech controller... but I doubt it'd be the cheaper option we were discussing. More likely a Ferrari coming into Neptune's Cadillac world. There'd still be room for a Honda :)

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree that a simple, inexpensive controller with a temp probe, maybe a pH probe, would be an excellent product to market... Neptune is unlikely to do so. They've got a dominant market position. Undercutting their own low budget item (Apex EL) with another, cheaper option, would just reduce profits. $500. I wouldn't be waiting on a cheaper option from Neptune.

They've already got their Fusion web based system up and running. Developing another product that doesn't use Fusion wouldn't make any sense, and selling a cheaper Apex that does... probably not going to happen.

I would like to see the EL head unit only for, what, $299? The way the 16 head unit is available? That'd be nice for all those Classic users out there. The old power bars work fine...

I'd love some company to come along and pick up where Reefkeeper left off, but obviously, it'd have to be a better product... Reefkeeper closed for a reason :)

Quality? Yes, I'd like to see quality improve. QC, really... if you get an Apex that works, chances are pretty good it'll continue to work, but they do seem to have a high rate of initial failure. The digital relays they're using in the new power bars should be upgraded... IMHO, to a REPLACEABLE cube relay, but I'm doubting that'll happen.

I'm expecting Neptune to have company soon. Ok, yeah, they have competition... kinda. GHL. Some folks swear by it, and I know it's more popular in Europe, but here? I've yet to put my hands on one in person. Not exactly popular.

I'm guessing that we'll see a true controller from EcoTech in the next couple of years. Used to be, EcoTech and other light makers wanted Apex compatible... These days, they don't care. Why not? Because Neptune, in their arrogance, started selling products that directly compete with the companies they used to integrate with. Pumps, accessories, feeders, dosing... I'm expecting a Neptune branded LED fairly soon. Why would EcoTech continue marketing their competition?

I'd welcome an EcoTech controller... but I doubt it'd be the cheaper option we were discussing. More likely a Ferrari coming into Neptune's Cadillac world. There'd still be room for a Honda :)
Many other brands do similar things with their products as what Neptune could do with their Apex controllers. The EL is the current base model and features the ability to expand with additional modules, wifi, etc. There’s no reason they couldn’t slot a “preset” product under the EL without all of the expansion capability and even sell it for $200. They could even give it a different name like uranus. lol. I used to play a lot of paintball and if you’re familiar with markers, this is what dye paintball, one of the highest-end brands in the sport did when they launched their proto sub brand without undercutting themselves. It allows people to experience the brand, but keeps the higher-end features at an exclusive price point.

zelik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they have to focus on fixing the problems they have with the current family of products.

make the communication between devices wireless.
make the cable for the wav pumps more secure.

make a better holder for the fish feeder.

make the dos without that noise

Fix the salinity probe !!!
Yes please fix salinity probe and allow HomeKit integration... or more API and assist homebridge plug-in!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back