Next steps after stopping dosing for 3 days for precipitation?

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my tank evaporates 446 ML in a 24 hour period, I am now going to try and figure out a kalkwasser dose needed to keep my PH at 8.1 from midnight to 12 noon while dosing 446 ML in that time period.

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my tank evaporates 446 ML in a 24 hour period, I am now going to try and figure out a kalkwasser dose needed to keep my PH at 8.1 from midnight to 12 noon while dosing 446 ML in that time period.
Were you putting kalk on a separate doser? You should be able to dial it in to dose slowly during that time period.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you putting kalk on a separate doser? You should be able to dial it in to dose slowly during that time period.
Yes i have a 5g Reservior that I will be mixong kalk and storing in for nightly doses. I just now need to figure out the mess on 446 mL over 12 hours to keep the pH elevated.2

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i got my seachem kalk. Now to try and figure out the proper mixture for this lol

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i got my seachem kalk. Now to try and figure out the proper mixture for this lol
I supersaturate my solution and go through a gallon a day of ATO but that’s on 25gal total water. It’s important not to let any undissolved kalk get into the aquarium.

ATO water should easily dissolve 1mL kalk to 1L without leaving any undissolved amount.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 level teaspoons per gallon of fresh water is a general guide to the max that will dissolve, but you may not need that much.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 level teaspoons per gallon of fresh water is a general guide to the max that will dissolve, but you may not need that much.
im looking to create a formula that will allow me to disburst 446ML in 12 hours to keep a steady PH.
how would i go about figuring that out?

lets say at 2 teaspoons per gallon how much would that raise PH in a tank? i guess from there I can figure it out more

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also what i can do is set apex to dos based off my ph so that every 10 mins it tests ph and doses if needed but then i would not use the DOS for ATO

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking to create a formula that will allow me to disburst 446ML in 12 hours to keep a steady PH.

lets say at 2 teaspoons per gallon how much would that raise PH in a tank? i guess from there I can figure it out more
Why so obsessed keeping your ph stable? That’s gonna drive you nuts trying to do that.. just keep your alk stable and let your ph do what it wants.. as long as it’s around 8 you’re fine…

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a lot of math involved in that question. And a few assumptions.

I would just do something simple to start. 1tsp into one gallon. Maybe try 120ml over 12hrs and see how pH holds.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of math involved in that question. And a few assumptions.

I would just do something simple to start. 1tsp into one gallon. Maybe try 120ml over 12hrs and see how pH holds.
pretty simple math if i can find out how much a kalk slurry raises ph per volume of tank water
theres 3785.41 ml to a gallon, on the seachem kalk is states 3Grams is 1 teaspoon to 4L of water so that means

353.77 MG kalk for 446ML of water. basically i would put the 353.77mg of powder in first then fill the water to the 446ML mark and that would be a single top off dose for 12 hours but i dont know what that would do to my PH but I will try and let everyone know

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty simple math if i can find out how much a kalk slurry raises ph per volume of tank water
theres 3785.41 ml to a gallon, on the seachem kalk is states 3Grams is 1 teaspoon to 4L of water so that means

353.77 MG kalk for 446ML of water. basically i would put the 353.77mg of powder in first then fill the water to the 446ML mark and that would be a single top off dose for 12 hours but i dont know what that would do to my PH but I will try and let everyone know
That’s much easier than what I had in mind. My concern would be whether you need 446ml of fully saturated kalk overnight. And thought maybe if you only use a fraction of it to start… such as add 100ml of kalk solution to 346ml RO.

My rationale is your aquarium has had these dips for awhile. No need to accidentally overdo it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok but while I am waiting to do all this i think my focus strayed from original issue and I am back to precipitation again as my small tank is using way too much alk for its size and corals
I do not think this tank is capable of consuming that much alk in a day and im also dosing 9ml of triton and 6ml sodium bicarbonate a day
7E71E176-2428-4422-8E5C-04367349A1A3.png 9028FA0C-0FB2-4A74-9E83-5387281C2AFB.jpeg

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are using 0.4dkh per day and that drop today is odd but could be from just messing around with it. With alk supplements one would think it wouldn’t drop as quick.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are using 0.4dkh per day and that drop today is odd but could be from just messing around with it. With alk supplements one would think it wouldn’t drop as quick.
I dont mess with anything. I barely touch the tank. I just think its slowly precipitating more and more lol. Thats why i wanted to know whats in triton that its doing this and maybe i should switch to another dosing method that might not precipitate as much

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok but while I am waiting to do all this i think my focus strayed from original issue and I am back to precipitation again as my small tank is using way too much alk for its size and corals
I do not think this tank is capable of consuming that much alk in a day and im also dosing 9ml of triton and 6ml sodium bicarbonate a day
7E71E176-2428-4422-8E5C-04367349A1A3.png 9028FA0C-0FB2-4A74-9E83-5387281C2AFB.jpeg
Cool apex stuff and tank!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back