Next tank may just be a fowlr

Ahogue21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently on my second tank for salt water and just a simple bc32 setup with a few small basic corals. Reason I didn't go bigger is we are building a new house in July and I didn't want to set up a large tank just to rip it down....

Current plan is a 150-220 gallon tank in the new house and I have to say after going through alot of builds here I think its going to be fowlr only, the amount of upkeep and money involved in a big coral tank just keeps turning the idea off for me i may keep a little frag tank on the system just for fun

That being said I guess this is just kind of a vent post I have multiple hobbies to feed lol and kudos to those of you on here with some absolutely stunning reef tanks

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say that now....

I say go fowlr and I'll start the pool on how long until you add coral. Over under on 3 months?

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, you want a 220 gallon tank but you can't afford to buy any corals? IMO, a 75 gallon tank with coral would look MUCH better than a 220 without

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think he's having an issue with affording. I think he's more referring to the effort required in a reef vs fowlr tank when it comes to chemistry and such. Fowlr is definitely a lot more forgiving.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do plan on corals one day, consider your arm length before chosing a 220 over a 180. I am 6' tall and can barely reach the sandbed in my 220G w/euro brace...

Also, to my surprise, most people ooo and awww at my softies, not the SPS when they see my tank. So going with large softy tank would be similar effort to an FOWLR tank, and look spectacular...

OP
OP
Ahogue21

Ahogue21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the the affordable part it's just swallowing the cost and the upkeep not something I want to get into then have a tank fall behind on maint.

I have thought about doing a solid zoa tank I've seen some of the gardens lately and love the look

As far as tanks current thought is a peninsula tank but won't really know til the house it built and I can really get a feel for how the living room is set up

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new house. That will be enough of a hobby to keep you busy for many years to come! Do whatever pleases you and your family. No one else's opinion really matters, especially since they're not involved in the upkeep.:cool:

OP
OP
Ahogue21

Ahogue21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'd eventually like to go even bigger in the basement but that's a long ways off so won't even bother dreaming one tank at a time lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back