Nicrew 150w Led light setup on 240g

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I have recently transfered my reef tank into a 240 gallon aquarium. No corals are in here yet as they are in the old tank.

I have 3 nicrew 150w leds set up about 11" from the water surface. The tank is 25" high, however the water is about 23.5" high in the tank - 2-2.5" Sandbed as well. So probably around ~32" from sandbed to the light total.

(32" from sand to light, 11" from water surface to light)

My question is, what percentages should I set the light at and at what times should I turn on and off? I have the Nicrew Controler so I can set a schedule.

When I do get coral in there it'll be a mix - but soonest will be pulsing xenia, star polyps.

(I've been trying to find a par meter to rent with no avail)

20230102_152504.jpg

OP
OP
Bhorsky

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to isolate the pulsing xenias unless you want your tank covered in them...
Oh I know aha, will do. I'm thinking I may just have to start low and experiment with the lighting, see how the coral reacts.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they’re powerful lights, but I would set them to 100 percent for SPS. Since you mentioned soft corals starting out, they really don’t need to be more than 40 percent on the blues. And fyi the white spectrum accounts for 1/3 of the total wattage.

OP
OP
Bhorsky

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of coral?
Mostly softies, pulsing xenia, star polyps I already have and will be transfering. I want some torches, etc. I'd say starting with softs and moving into a mix later on down the road

OP
OP
Bhorsky

Bhorsky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they’re powerful lights, but I would set them to 100 percent for SPS. Since you mentioned soft corals starting out, they really don’t need to be more than 40 percent on the blues. And fyi the white spectrum accounts for 1/3 of the total wattage.
I will do 20/40 on a curve and see how that works out thank you

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful when setting up these black box leds, they are very powerful.
It is very easy to overshoot par when setting up by visual, you really need a par meter.
Check with locals, chances are someone has one.
I have Viparspectra over my 210, installed 120* lenses ( come with 90*) and have them hung 14” over the waterline.
My blue channel is set to 30% , white is only 1% and that gives me plenty of par for my mixed reef. I’m just over 100 par on the sand bed.

Back