Niger trigger

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just put one of these in my 300. Hes around 3" and looks healthy. Yesterday i found my clown on the bottom of the tank with his tail partially ate. Dont know if its the trigger but i suspect it is. Anyone have any problems with theirsj?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are it ate the clown after it died. Niger aren't particularly aggressive unless the clown was absolutely tiny, it would be safe.

OP
OP
tj w

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown was still alive when i pulled him out of the tank. He was laying on the bottom and couldnt swim. His tail had been ate. The clown was about 2" and healthy.

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Nigers aren't known to cause those type of issues, but any fish can go postal for no reason. It's uncharacteristic, but like people, some fish just have nasty personalities. If he's the only new addition, I'd bet it was him, but I wouldn't blame it on him being a trigger...I'd call it an anomaly. Sorry about your clown. That sucks.

coral tarracino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just put one of these in my 300. Hes around 3" and looks healthy. Yesterday i found my clown on the bottom of the tank with his tail partially ate. Dont know if its the trigger but i suspect it is. Anyone have any problems with theirsj?
Blue Fish Trigger! dig those Teeth! ? am Boss! I never see to many Fish that have an AttitudeLOL!

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Niger for about seven years and I doubt it got your clown. Mine occasionally gets in a tiff with with the aggressive fish, but completely ignores my clowns. My hand is his arc enemy. He attacks as soon as it hits the water.

Do you by chance have any large crabs? I and had a large hermit catch my small tusk and ate his tail off. I also saw that crab jump off of my rockwork and catch my Picasso trigger mid "air". Luckily he was able to shake him off. That crab went back to the store!

Justin parker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was done cycling put in a damsel my second fish was a Niger trigger. the same thing happened the first couple days were fine and then I found my damsel basically unsaveable it is possible for a trigger to go rogue it's possible for any fish to go rogue

OP
OP
tj w

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes unfortunately i put the niger trigger,emperor angel,longhorn cowfish,and a heniochus butterfly in the same day. So who really knows. I also have two horseshoe crabs along with hermits in the tank as well so who knows really.

Justin parker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all those fish going in the same day did you have a problem with ich? that's a lot of stress on all fish, But it could have been the Emperor angelfish or the trigger

OP
OP
tj w

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem with ich. I qt'd in two tank for 3 weeks prior and staggered input into display. I agree it could have been the emperor as well. They all seem to be doing ok now. They just eat like pigs. Ive completed my stocking list for now though. May have to add another clown or pair of clowns in the near future though.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggerfish are a tough one to call. I had a niger trigger in my tank for 3 years, and he never bothered my small clowns but anything new that I put in that was small enough to become a meal, was eaten. He eventually became too aggressive and had to go.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back