Niger Triggerfish Hiding? + Other livestock ideas

  • Thread starter Thread starter KingAlee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KingAlee

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 11, 2024
Messages
677
Reaction score
484
Location
Mobile
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I purchased a Niger Triggerfish today and put him in my new (been cycled for 2 weeks) 125G 6ft tank. That being said he was there all day, lights go out, I go check... He is now gone. All of this being said are they known for hiding when sleeping? If so how or where do the sleep? I tried looking this up but got so many different answers and locations its not even funny. Do they sleep in the sand? Does he sleep within the rocks? I am confused.

On to the next topic, in this tank I have the trigger, 4 basic Ocellaris clowns and 2 Black Ocellaris clowns. What other fish do you think would be nice additions, look good, or just fun to have? Like I said it's a 6ft tank at 125G, I plan on making it a mixed reef like my other DT (which is also a 125G 6ft tank). Additionally, I have a cleaner shrimp and emerald crabs as clean up at this very moment.

1st two pics are me newest tank, last 3 are my other DT. (Only the first has livestock)

IMG_3399.jpg IMG_3400.jpg IMG_5697.jpg IMG_5693-2.jpg IMG_5694-2.jpg
 
So, I purchased a Niger Triggerfish today and put him in my new (been cycled for 2 weeks) 125G 6ft tank. That being said he was there all day, lights go out, I go check... He is now gone. All of this being said are they known for hiding when sleeping? If so how or where do the sleep? I tried looking this up but got so many different answers and locations its not even funny. Do they sleep in the sand? Does he sleep within the rocks? I am confused.

On to the next topic, in this tank I have the trigger, 4 basic Ocellaris clowns and 2 Black Ocellaris clowns. What other fish do you think would be nice additions, look good, or just fun to have? Like I said it's a 6ft tank at 125G, I plan on making it a mixed reef like my other DT (which is also a 125G 6ft tank). Additionally, I have a cleaner shrimp and emerald crabs as clean up at this very moment.

1st two pics are me newest tank, last 3 are my other DT. (Only the first has livestock)

IMG_3399.jpg IMG_3400.jpg IMG_5697.jpg IMG_5693-2.jpg IMG_5694-2.jpg
The trigger has a ‘clip’ it’ll throw up when sleeping - usually they will wedge themselves into the rocks and you won’t be able to spot them easily. If you look closely you may spot a tail or eye but very rarely anything else.

The sand part comes in when referring to their nesting behaviour. They form ditches in the sand which is their nesting site. When this ditch forms you will spot it and may find the trigger becomes very territorial.

Also, your CUC will likely be demolished, especially those Emerald Crabs. They love picking up crabs and bashing them against the rocks to get their flesh.
 
The trigger has a ‘clip’ it’ll throw up when sleeping - usually they will wedge themselves into the rocks and you won’t be able to spot them easily. If you look closely you may spot a tail or eye but very rarely anything else.

The sand part comes in when referring to their nesting behaviour. They form ditches in the sand which is their nesting site. When this ditch forms you will spot it and may find the trigger becomes very territorial.

Also, your CUC will likely be demolished, especially those Emerald Crabs. They love picking up crabs and bashing them against the rocks to get their flesh.
Aren’t niger triggers also pretty aggressive and not reef safe?

They also get pretty big right? I think i saw one the size of a dinner plate so a 125g seems pretty small.
 
Aren’t niger triggers also pretty aggressive and not reef safe?

They also get pretty big right? I think i saw one the size of a dinner plate so a 125g seems pretty small.
I’ll eventually be upgrading to a larger tank, these are my first saltwater tanks and what could just be housed at the moment until I get the other room done! Little guy is about the size of golf ball!
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new