Nighttime Lights Off Wavemaker Flow Problem

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I have a wavemaker in my 5g nano along with my random nozzle for my return pump for basic flow. During the day when the lights are on, the coral can take the flow very well and don't bat about at all, and seem to enjoy it. However, when it's their nighttime and the lights go out, they are far more vulnerable (especially my ricordea mushrooms, which start to turn up like an inside out umbrella). I can't turn the wavemaker any lower, and I can't find any better placement for either the ricordea nor the wavemaker that won't make them left up.

If there is no alternative for flow for this nano tank, would a return pump on max suffice? I barely see anything move on the sand bed (thinking detritus), but is that okay? Otherwise, are there any alternative for nighttime flow to help keep my new coral happy?

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe put your WaveMaker on a timer so that when your night light comes on it turns off.
Right, that's what I have now. Is that fine that there isn't much movement again until the morning? I was worried about lack of movement/potential detritus build up.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it, when it kicks on in the morning it should stir that stuff back up and get it filtered out. Plus allows your cuc to get a good bite to eat in their midnight munchies

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it, when it kicks on in the morning it should stir that stuff back up and get it filtered out. Plus allows your cuc to get a good bite to eat in their midnight munchies
Phew! That's a relief. And that's right! I saw one of the sand snails lurking about hunting, haha. So I take it this is fairly common for nighttime + small tank?

Since I just got these guys as a second round (post dinoflagellates), they're all on the sand bed for now. I imagine it'll be better for my other coral once I start placing them on rocks (not the mushrooms though, or maybe a very short island).

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be worried if they didn't open up when the lights come on but since they're loving it during the daytime cycle I wouldn't be a bit worried. Small tanks have their quirks, currently trying to figure out a 10g I started a little while ago.

Ricordias can be hit or miss, not 100% sure but I think they're all wild caught so they can have their issues. I had one in my tank that jellied out under extremely ideal conditions. Drove me nuts trying to find the fire that lit that bomb but never found anything wrong. So don't take it hard if it doesn't make it, but hoping for the best for you!

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be worried if they didn't open up when the lights come on but since they're loving it during the daytime cycle I wouldn't be a bit worried. Small tanks have their quirks, currently trying to figure out a 10g I started a little while ago.

Ricordias can be hit or miss, not 100% sure but I think they're all wild caught so they can have their issues. I had one in my tank that jellied out under extremely ideal conditions. Drove me nuts trying to find the fire that lit that bomb but never found anything wrong. So don't take it hard if it doesn't make it, but hoping for the best for you!
Thank you very much for the support! I /think/ that these were aquacultured (maybe these weren't and the rest of mine were?), that was my plan for this go around. Everything I had before was maricultured and more difficult to keep anyway. Plus the dino bloom, it wrecked everything when that got all out of control. For now though, during the day I think (hope?) they're happy so far. Here is how they look.

I wish you best of luck with your tank as well!

Attachments

• 20231020_185012.jpg
    20231020_185012.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20231020_185058.jpg
    20231020_185058.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231021_122304.jpg
    20231021_122304.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 28

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back