nikon d5000

joshb1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nikon d5000( Edited with pictures)

How do yous set you nikon to take photos of your corals with the 18-55mm lens? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joshb1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean all the users on here and no one can share the settings they use on the nikon d5000 to take nice pics of your corals! I looked at the stick and still cant figure it out! Please help! Josh

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely because there is no one setting or range of settings that will universally produce good results. Each photo is dependent on a variety of conditions in an aquarium and in each area of an aquarium. With this type of photography, you can't just put it on automatic and take pictures. There are several sticky threads in this forum that will help you and if you search for my posts in this forum you'll find several instances in which I've offered assistance. If you take a couple of photos and post them, I'm sure I can help you improve the results. It also helps considerably to have a basic understanding of the fundamentals of photography, i.e., the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, and IOS setting, the concept of depth of field, and white balance correction.
Gary

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the same camera, but the files are so big. I'm also not intelligent enough to use the http:// part to get my photos to appear on this site.

I use a tripod, no flash and use the auto setting most of the time. I have also used the sports setting. You can get some decent shots, but not the up close shots I see in different links. Most talk about using a macro lens. I'm sure I'm not much help here, but I will be following the thread to see if you get some help from anyone else.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gparr is the guy you want to take notes from. Without his guidance I think I would still be fiddling around with the camera trying to figure things out..

OP
OP
J

joshb1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched several videos on the shutter speed, iso, and amperature and think i understand that ok for just starting! I am still lost on the white balance!
here is a pic set at 1/30 f20 iso 200. white balance set on cloudy!

brain.jpg

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudy setting will not work for white balance in reef aquariums. You either have to shoot in the RAW format (preferred) and convert the white balance in the RAW-conversion software or set a custom white balance if you're going to shoot jpg files. RAW-conversion software was included with your camera, assuming it can shoot in the RAW format. To set a custom white balance, follow the instructions in your owner's manual. It looks like you have a black/dark substrate and it's fooling your camera's meter. You'll need to underexpose your shot by at least a stop, probably two stops, to get proper color on the coral and prevent blowing out highlight areas on the coral.
Gary

OP
OP
J

joshb1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_DSC0022.jpg

_DSC0025.jpg

_DSC0033.jpg

_DSC0046.jpg

_DSC0047.jpg

_DSC0048.jpg

_DSC0050.jpg

_DSC0052.jpg

_DSC0054.jpg

_DSC0059.jpg

_DSC0072.jpg

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/joshbeckrow/_DSC0059.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/joshbeckrow/_DSC0079.jpg
_DSC0073.jpg

_DSC0062.jpg

_DSC0076.jpg

OP
OP
J

joshb1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shooting on the raw format. In these photos I have the wb set to auto and messing around with the iso, shutter speed and amerture. They are really blue looking but coral colors are getting better. These are taken with all lights on. Thanks for the advise. Josh

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back