Nikon D5200 white balance

JeffE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got any tips or tricks to getting this camera to white balance right with blue LEDs? I'm having trouble getting it to work trying the custom set function or using the manual adjustment of a preset one.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will enable you to set a white balance. It will help you to shoot near true to what you see. The process should be similar in all Nikons.

1. Go to your menu, select white balance.
  2. Find and select PRE. It stands for preset manual.
  3. It will tell you to shoot something white under the intended light. You can shoot overhead without the powerheads on for calm water and aim and shoot the sand.
  4. Or use a white piece of paper under the light. It may take a few tries. Whichever you choose to shoot has to fill the viewscreen and has to do so uniformly. Check your shutter and aperture to make sure you are compensating for the brightness as well.
Remember that your preset w/b stays on during M (manual), A (aperture priority), and S (shutter priority) shooting modes. If you shoot green (auto) you cannot choose this. So if you do shoot green, learn to shoot in manual as that gives you best control. Also don't forget to change it back when you shoot something else. I do this often, and it drives me bonkers.

Hope that helps, it's the best I can do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JeffE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll try setting the custom white balance again, last time it said some sort of error and couldn't get the white balance from the file. Maybe I had it over exposed

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll try setting the custom white balance again, last time it said some sort of error and couldn't get the white balance from the file. Maybe I had it over exposed

Possibly, you do have to compose as if you were going to shoot normally. It may take a few tries.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 57 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back