Nitrate 10ppm after water change.

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really confused about a couple things. First I did a water change in my 45 gallon tank after I notice I have no nitrite ammonia Is .25ppm which I read means 0 since it’s an ati test kit. My issue is the nitrate is light orange so in between 10-20ppm. Second day I checked and still hasn’t really come down. I have my protein skimmer going and the water is filled with micro bubbles as well. No skimate either. It’s a new skimmer so I think it’s still breaking in. I have some hermits, snails, a blenny and royal gramma. They all are eating and look healthy. I was going to get a couple clowns in the next day or so. I can’t tell if it’s safe to get a couple clowns or it might kill them. Any help would be great with the chemistry as well as protein skimmer. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take is a little over a month old. Skimmer is cpr bakpak. I got it used for $50 seemed like a good deal. Good to know about nitrates I thought those were deadly for fish.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nitrates are deadly at extremely high levels. That's not an extremely high level. That's a perfectly fine level for plenty of corals.

You want phosphate at 0.03ppm or higher, and nitrates at 5ppm or higher, otherwise photosynthetic organisms (like beneficial algae and corals) will suffer and die.

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good to know thank you. I’m not doing corals anytime soon. Want to just focus on fish. Need better lighting anyways. Does anybody know why my skimmer hasn’t picked any skim mate up yet? Maybe I need more bioload?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Skimmers remove organic matter from the water. No skimmate means not much organic matter.

You may not actually want that- corals need some organic matter, and the skimmer can strip out their food. Skimmers are better for tanks that are meant to be fish-only, or tanks that are really heavily fed.

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I was told if you want to do corals to do a protein skimmer. Lol. I do eventually want to do corals. But probably next year if I do.

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers remove organic matter from the water. No skimmate means not much organic matter.

You may not actually want that- corals need some organic matter, and the skimmer can strip out their food. Skimmers are better for tanks that are meant to be fish-only, or tanks that are really heavily fed.
So would you say the reason I have so many micro bubbles is because there’s not enough organic waste in this tank to produce skim mate?

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I was told if you want to do corals to do a protein skimmer.
That isn't necessarily true. Corals need some nutrient control and a protein skimmer is one way of doing that. Other options are refugiums, hang on back filters, various chemical methods, and more. Skimmers are just the most popular way of removing some of those nutrients :D

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back