Nitrate additive.. thoughts?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon mixed reef. Livestock, some rock is about 3 years old but was transferred from my 65 gallon earlier this year. So the 180 has been running for 9-10 months.

Ever since the transfer, my nutrients have been low. ( nitrate below 4 ppm). Lately my phosphates have been rising and are now about .1 ppm. I’m perfectly fine with this but I feel like the nitrate should be higher because of this.

Over the last month I have noticed some corals loosing color that they have had for quite some time. But seem to be doing well otherwise. I have also noticed some small patches of cyano showing up.

I dose all for reef and have since the setup. It’s on a doser and everything has been very stable. I just sent off a new icp test this morning.

I bought some nitrate additive from an lfs a while ago but have not used it yet. Has anyone used this brand? Thoughts or comments on it? Do I even need to raise nitrate?

Open to any thoughts or comments on the matter!
IMG_0301.jpeg
IMG_0302.jpeg

this coral lost the yellow tips
IMG_8721.jpeg
IMG_0206.jpeg

This coral went from a dark gold to yellow/green
IMG_7145.jpeg
IMG_9708.jpeg
IMG_0204.png

Last edited:

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been told to try and keep the 100:1 ratio no3:po4. So if you have .1po4, you should have 10no3, idk how true this is, as mine have been 30no3 and .1po4 and haven't had any issues to speak of. Maybe try and bring po4 down instead?
Did you change lights when you upgraded tanks?

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been told to try and keep the 100:1 ratio no3:po4. So if you have .1po4, you should have 10no3, idk how true this is, as mine have been 30no3 and .1po4 and haven't had any issues to speak of. Maybe try and bring po4 down instead?
Did you change lights when you upgraded tanks?
I’ve heard that too. Honestly I’m not too concerned about the levels so much as the ratio between the two. As for lights, I just added onto them and using a par meter, lowered everything by 50% or more and increased 3% every 4-5 days to get where I wanted it. I have had zero issues since the transfer until now. but I honestly think it’s the increase of phosphate While my nitrate stayed low. I’d like phosphate around the .08-.1 ppm area.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate might be a hair low but if the system runs stable at that number then not overly concerned. Hobby grade test kits ballpark at best, so your 3 can be also 5 or 0.

To ensure it’s not zero, you can bump nitrate to 10ppm and leave phosphate if it holds steady day in an day out.

Haven’t used that brand but there are many.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want to achieve with more of a surplus of nitrogen than no3 at 4 already has?

Without knowing the concentrations of what is in that product, you could raise potassium, calcium and other things, or not. hard to know without knowing. Making your own solution out of a known product is better.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thst product is likely ok to use until it is gone, but if potassium nitrate is the most abundant ingredient (listed first) then I’d switch to food grade sodium or calcium nitrate. The risk of rising potassium should not be ignored unless it is carefully monitored.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ratio thinking is misapplied. It means nothing as long as there are the nutrients available. Don’t take it from me, this info is out there…
I really don’t stress about it. I used to as I was starting the hobby but not anymore. My observation has been that the corals changing color and some slight cyano started as my phosphate started rising. I know I can lower it but thought raising nitrate might be a better option. I don’t really think I need that 1:100 ratio but at the same time I I don’t want to try a 1:1 ratio either

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want to achieve with more of a surplus of nitrogen than no3 at 4 already has?

Without knowing the concentrations of what is in that product, you could raise potassium, calcium and other things, or not. hard to know without knowing. Making your own solution out of a known product is better.
Really didn’t know it could raise other things.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thst product is likely ok to use until it is gone, but if potassium nitrate is the most abundant ingredient (listed first) then I’d switch to food grade sodium or calcium nitrate. The risk of rising potassium should not be ignored unless it is carefully monitored.
Thank you. I didn’t realize it could raise other things.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m trying to add calcium and raise nitrates would I be right in thinking Calcium Nitrate would do both? Or is it not that simple?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m trying to add calcium and raise nitrates would I be right in thinking Calcium Nitrate would do both? Or is it not that simple?

Sort of. Calcium nitrate is a balanced calcium and alk additive since nitrate consumption adds alk. Same ratio as kalkwasser.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%

Back